125gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah. That happens a lot. Local pick-ups are often really cheap!!!! Arg. 8+ million ppl in NYC and nobody ever seems to be selling fish tanks!

WEll... my LFS was selling a used 40L (tough to find) for $20--that's a great deal. Would have grabbed it immediately if my gf wasn't so anti-MTS. :(

Of course, she's right about me and MTS... I haven't been more addicted to a hobby, or for that matter anything, in my entire life. I think it's coz I had NO hobbies as a kid. Now I'm over-compensating!

madasafish said:
Of course, she's right about me and MTS... I haven't been more addicted to a hobby, or for that matter anything, in my entire life. I think it's coz I had NO hobbies as a kid. Now I'm over-compensating!

Your GF may need to be gently reminded that she needs to support your hobbies and not criticize.

Fishkeeping has got to be one of the most peaceful and interesting hobbies out there, what I mean is, it's just a teeny bit towards the calmer end of the spectrum as far as interests are concerned.

So if gently reminding her does not suffice, then may I suggest a bucket full of tankwater from your next water change.

Sorry peeps, I am just absolutely sick of anyone picking on this harmless hobby.

argh.

madasa KEEP UP THE GREAT WORK with your fish!! (y)

Thanks, Snapcrackler. You TOO! Love the new pix. I will cross the FW/SW divide some time soon!

I agree. Fishkeeping really is a great hobby! I could collect vintage automobiles, collect $1000 postage stamp or hunt deer (all of which have their place... Yeah, I'm an environmentalist and I'm saying that). My gf has a point about the price--she wants me to save up lots of money so that I don't get into a bad financial situation... But at the moment, she's just a real buzz-killer!

P.S. Speaking of hunting (I don't hunt deer; but sometimes deer hunting is a good way of reducing dangerously large deer populations): I believe I heard on the news tonight that they're opening the first bear hunting season in NJ for many years. Appears the bears are starting to inpinge upon human habitat too much. Wow. That's kinda sad!

Saving money is overrated, dude.....

In my future I picture myself living in a large cardboard box with a 500 gallon custom acrylic bow front with half a ton of live rock. I can just lick discarded candy wrappers for nourishment.....

I can always dream.

Yeah. My bro (also has MTS, and a baby, and a dog, and a cat, and tons of other pets...) goes almost this far. He thinks that his dream house will have an aquarium in every room--some of them huge. I almost have that going right now--three aquariums in my apartment which has 5 rooms. Also, I do seriously believe that I will have a 300-500 gallon aquarium by the end of my life. Maybe larger!

Actually, I saw this incredible custom-made 500 Gallon bowfront reef tank up for bidding that some guy had gotten tired of. It was astounding. I could get enough of it. He was asking $10,000. I couldn't quite stretch that far.

Hehehehehehehehehe.

6 aquariums in a 1200sq foot apartment. (3gallon is at work)
1 20GL as a fancy mouse terrarium
2 gerbils
2 cats

This is somewhat of a low right now. Before moving to this apartment, I had 5 ferrets, chinese water dragon and a cockatiel

Ferret you're 1/2 way to running a pet shop, man! 8O

madasa I need that 500 gallon bowfront NOW

drool drool :eyes:

oh man that would be soooooooooooooo kewl

sigh

hehe... one of my LFS has an 800 gallon open top swimming pool in their store filled with SW, filtered by magnum 350s (No I am not kidding! )... the stingray flaps halfway out of the water when you come by, if it is hungry :)

Kinda kool... he said salt alone for it was about 300 bucks :D

Haha. I was all for SW originally (before I'd even tried FW), and it was when I found out the price of the salt for my 55 that the price of the whole package really hit me! I realized the salt for the tank would cost $20, and that I'd have to get a new large container every 4 weeks or so. Then I found out about protein skimmers.... and live rock etc.

one of my LFS has an 800 gallon open top swimming pool in their store filled with SW, filtered by magnum 350s (No I am not kidding! )... the stingray flaps halfway out of the water when you come by, if it is hungry
I live in Iowa too--I would love to see this store!!! Where is it?

Yup, if you do an "Advanced Search" you can search by region...(I'm always on the lookout! I'm hoping to start my 30gal soon!).

juliemichelle said:
one of my LFS has an 800 gallon open top swimming pool in their store filled with SW, filtered by magnum 350s (No I am not kidding! )... the stingray flaps halfway out of the water when you come by, if it is hungry
I live in Iowa too--I would love to see this store!!! Where is it?

Hi, it is called Under the Sea, it is in Cedar Falls Iowa.. well, Cedarloo, right between Waterloo and Cedar Falls.

And they are moving at the end of this month to commercial street

their number is: 277-2861

Where do you hail from?

Back
Top Bottom