Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-16-2012, 09:58 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

13 litre hospital tank

I've just bought a small tank specifically for my spawning rams and any other medical problems. I want to cycle the tank with a fish/fishes and am thinking a single betta? The tank has a pump, internal filter and a 10w heater, any advice as to what would be best to get this tank cycled? I'd like to put a single betta in but if not then maybe a few danios or tetra? The fish I choose has to be able to mix with my corys, gold neon tetras and glass catfish as it will be moved in to my large 94 litre tank once the rams spawn, any ideas or advice?

Old 07-16-2012, 10:15 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You don't necessarily have to do a "fish in" cycle on that small of a tank. You could use a piece of filter media from an already established aquarium. If you insist on doing the cycle as planned though, a single betta could work.

Old 07-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have put some stones into the new tank from my other one. If a betta will work then il give it a bash. I have read up on them and found out that they are good fish to keep but with the temp steady between 24-26 and more regular than normal water changes and a varied diet, is that right?
Old 07-16-2012, 10:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Would a betta be ok in with a pair of GBR? Only asking because if I have to treat tetras, corys or glass catfish in the small tank then id have to put the betta in with the rams as a temporary measure.
Old 07-16-2012, 12:30 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are the rams paired up? If so they may be the aggressors. The betta should be fine since he'll be out of his element being put into another tank.
You never know for sure though. All you can do is make an educated guess and hope for the best.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah they are, the only reason I know that is because he said in previous threads that they had laid eggs.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I may be a little confused, so please bear with me.

Is this 13 litre (3 1/2 gallon) tank going to be used for spawning the GBR's?
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyndaB
I may be a little confused, so please bear with me.

Is this 13 litre (3 1/2 gallon) tank going to be used for spawning the GBR's?
I think you may be correct.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

If so, please don't do this. That's an insanely small tank for GBR's. Please get them at least a 10 gallon. That's actually the best size hospital tank, too. And 10 gallons makes a very dandy grow out tank.
75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh? I didn't realize the o.p. was trying to use it as a breed or growout tank. Gbr's won't spawn in anything under 10gal.
All my pairs are in 20gal longs.

Tags
hospital tank, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com