13 litre hospital tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Conrad

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've just bought a small tank specifically for my spawning rams and any other medical problems. I want to cycle the tank with a fish/fishes and am thinking a single betta? The tank has a pump, internal filter and a 10w heater, any advice as to what would be best to get this tank cycled? I'd like to put a single betta in but if not then maybe a few danios or tetra? The fish I choose has to be able to mix with my corys, gold neon tetras and glass catfish as it will be moved in to my large 94 litre tank once the rams spawn, any ideas or advice?

You don't necessarily have to do a "fish in" cycle on that small of a tank. You could use a piece of filter media from an already established aquarium. If you insist on doing the cycle as planned though, a single betta could work.

I have put some stones into the new tank from my other one. If a betta will work then il give it a bash. I have read up on them and found out that they are good fish to keep but with the temp steady between 24-26 and more regular than normal water changes and a varied diet, is that right?

Would a betta be ok in with a pair of GBR? Only asking because if I have to treat tetras, corys or glass catfish in the small tank then id have to put the betta in with the rams as a temporary measure.

Are the rams paired up? If so they may be the aggressors. The betta should be fine since he'll be out of his element being put into another tank.
You never know for sure though. All you can do is make an educated guess and hope for the best.

Yeah they are, the only reason I know that is because he said in previous threads that they had laid eggs.

I may be a little confused, so please bear with me.

Is this 13 litre (3 1/2 gallon) tank going to be used for spawning the GBR's?

LyndaB said:
I may be a little confused, so please bear with me.

Is this 13 litre (3 1/2 gallon) tank going to be used for spawning the GBR's?

I think you may be correct.

If so, please don't do this. That's an insanely small tank for GBR's. Please get them at least a 10 gallon. That's actually the best size hospital tank, too. And 10 gallons makes a very dandy grow out tank.

Oh? I didn't realize the o.p. was trying to use it as a breed or growout tank. Gbr's won't spawn in anything under 10gal.
All my pairs are in 20gal longs.

Back
Top Bottom