130 litre planted community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kane85

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have just set up a new 130 litre planted tank. First time trying live plants so hope all goes well. Currently have it stocked with 2 bristle nose catfish, a pearl gourami, diamond angel, and a school of 18 neons. The angel is small enough not to bother the neons for quite a while.

Anyway im after advice/ideas on what else to add. Im thinking another 1 possibly 2 angels.a few corydoras to assist the bristle nose out on the bottom, half a dozen black widows and something for the top but am unsure of what.

Is this going to be too much for the tank?

Am trying to upload some pics from my phone but dont know how.any helo?

I have just set up a new 130 litre planted tank. First time trying live plants so hope all goes well. Currently have it stocked with 2 bristle nose catfish, a pearl gourami, diamond angel, and a school of 18 neons. The angel is small enough not to bother the neons for quite a while.

Anyway im after advice/ideas on what else to add. Im thinking another 1 possibly 2 angels.a few corydoras to assist the bristle nose out on the bottom, half a dozen black widows and something for the top but am unsure of what.

Hi! It wouldn't surprise me but if you keep on going the way you are going, some of your stock will die. But not if you look up fish-in cycling. Your tank isn't cycled which means any ammonia from the fishes poo won't break down into nitrite, then into a safer form known as nitrate. In my opinion you are fully stocked. You may be able to get away with a small schoal of panda cories. I wouldn't add anything else though. :)
ps: have you got a test kit?

Hi! It wouldn't surprise me but if you keep on going the way you are going, some of your stock will die. But not if you look up fish-in cycling. Your tank isn't cycled which means any ammonia from the fishes poo won't break down into nitrite, then into a safer form known as nitrate. In my opinion you are fully stocked. You may be able to get away with a small schoal of panda cories. I wouldn't add anything else though. :)
ps: have you got a test kit?

Hi thanks for the reply. My tank was cycled for a week with no fish. I added the 2 bristlenoses for 4 weeks anf have only just added the tetras and angel the last week and a half. Have an api test kit showing 0 for amonia, nitrate and nitrite. Ph is 7.2

The bristlenoses arent plecos. So currently the tank only has 18 neons, an angel, a pearl gourami and the 2 bristles. From looking at videos of other tank set ups I though this was quite bare.

Bristlenose are pleco's.

Setting up a tank and leaving it for a week isn't cycling. A fishless cycle involves dosing ammonia and letting the tank go through the various stages of high ammonia, then high nitrites, then eventually only nitrates. Mind you think is an overly simplified explanation and I suggest you read up on what cycling involves. Here is a whole list of good articles you should read... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html. What is important now is for you to watch your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels now.

Your tank is roughly 34 gallons and I strongly suggest not adding anymore large fish, especially angels. Your tank may look empty but you are not taking into consideration how big your fish will get as adults. Pearl Gourami's can get up to around 5 inches and angelfish can get huge. Your tank isn't that big. I only keep 12 angels in a 220g tank!
Honestly I'd only add some cories or small loaches like Dwarf Chain Loaches for bottom/lower level activity but that is about it. The idea of having a tank isn't to see how many fish you can cram into it. I realize there are many video's out there of tanks that are way overstocked. This doesn't mean it's right.

Here's a picture of my planted 220g and notice even though there a lot of fish in the tank it is not crowded. Also note the size of those angels. That tank is 6 foot long x 2 feet wide x 30 inches tall. Fish shouldn't be crowded. Crowding leads to stress which can weaken the immune system making the fish more susceptible to disease and parasites.

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g 12-1-2012 - Picture

Bristlenose are pleco's.

Setting up a tank and leaving it for a week isn't cycling. A fishless cycle involves dosing ammonia and letting the tank go through the various stages of high ammonia, then high nitrites, then eventually only nitrates. Mind you think is an overly simplified explanation and I suggest you read up on what cycling involves. Here is a whole list of good articles you should read... http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f15/articles-to-help-you-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html. What is important now is for you to watch your ammonia/nitrite/nitrate levels now.

Your tank is roughly 34 gallons and I strongly suggest not adding anymore large fish, especially angels. Your tank may look empty but you are not taking into consideration how big your fish will get as adults. Pearl Gourami's can get up to around 5 inches and angelfish can get huge. Your tank isn't that big. I only keep 12 angels in a 220g tank!
Honestly I'd only add some cories or small loaches like Dwarf Chain Loaches for bottom/lower level activity but that is about it. The idea of having a tank isn't to see how many fish you can cram into it. I realize there are many video's out there of tanks that are way overstocked. This doesn't mean it's right.

Here's a picture of my planted 220g and notice even though there a lot of fish in the tank it is not crowded. Also note the size of those angels. That tank is 6 foot long x 2 feet wide x 30 inches tall. Fish shouldn't be crowded. Crowding leads to stress which can weaken the immune system making the fish more susceptible to disease and parasites.

Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Rivercats's Album: 220g 12-1-2012 - Picture

Quit bragging alright!? Lol jk J

I'd go with a school of cories once your tank is cycled (ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrAte 5-20)
Or a school of dwarf/chain loaches. Though those are expensive- here you can get an albino/bronze/pepper Cory for $5 but chain loaches cost upwards of $19.

In oz we just call them bristlenose, and only call the exotic species plecos- but in the U.S. all of them are called plecos.

I've got a gold spot pleco, 2 gibbiceps, and an unknown number of bristlenose ( 1 peppermint and 2 orange spot, but the rest are commons including albinos and calicos)
Each of the plecos has his own tank, and my albino gibbiceps is the only one who is such a cranky pants he can't stand sharing his tank with bristlenose.

I've often wondered if my preference and passion for bottom feeders says anything about ME :ROFLMAO:

Am trying to upload some pics from my phone but dont know how.any helo?

Up near the send button, you'll see a + sign
Hit that, then choose attach from photos, select the photo and make sure that when it says its done uploading, you then select 'insert inline'
Then voila!

image-3166806108.jpg

Back
Top Bottom