1st attempt at a shrimp tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bf92sy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all

I'm in the middle of setting up a shrimp tank for the first time. Could anyone give me some feedback on my initial set up? Is there anything else I need?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Attachments

• image-2089900647.jpg
    image-2089900647.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 105
Looks good! Just make sure to stay on top of water changes because shrimp need pretty stable conditions. What are your stocking plans?

How often will I need to do pwc? I change 10-20% weekly on my big tank. Is a shrimp tank the same or more often?

I literally have no idea what kind of shrimp lol. What do you recommend?

That water change schedule is fine. Maybe do a 30% change once a month. They love new fresh water. I've only had whatever species of shrimp that red cherry shrimp are. I'm still relatively new to shrimp, had mine for a year. I have both red cherries and pumpkin shrimp (same species, different color). Being that these are the only ones I've had I'd recommend them. I was told when setting up my shrimp tank that they were a good beginner one and I'd have to agree. But if you're willing to spend a little more there are other colors of the cherry species like snow, blue, and yellow.

I think I'll just stick to whatever colour they have in the shop lol. Really fancy red cherry shrimp. Will do a good water change once a month. Do you like keeping shrimp?

I do like keeping them. I love the idea of little aquariums and little creatures living in them. I started with just 3 red cherries and that got up to 20 before I made the mistake of moving them to a less stable aquarium and lost all but 4. All of my females are berried and I have some babies around so the herd is growing again. I like them more when there are a bunch in a tank so they can't all be hiding. Once I get out of college and can have more tanks again I'm going to upgrade to crystal reds. You'll definitely like it. You could probably put a little scarlet badis in there with them. I have one with my shrimp and they get along. :)

Back
Top Bottom