2.5 gallon tank for betta-cycling Q's.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrNitrite

Aquarium Advice Regular
I took the 2.5 from the garage and set it up in the bedroom. Before I get the betta, should I cycle it? It has gravel and a couple of small rocks. Can a tank of this size without filtration or aeration stay cycled or does it depend on frequent water changes to keep the ammonia levels down?

Smaller tanks are harder to maintain. But, yes, you should let it cycle before adding a betta. With that small of a tank you should treat it like a fish bowl. Water changes more often than you would on a larger tank. Personally I would still use a filter. Petco carries nano filters for up to 3g tanks. I have a betta in a 1g with a mini-filter on it.

OK thanks Dragon. Well, can I do a fishless cycle by using water from the 20 gallon while it cycles? The big tank still has no nitrites yet-only ammonia.

Adding anything from your 20 will help speed up the cycle as that tank has a jump already.

However, just putting the water in won't work. The bacteria must have a source of ammonia to consume or they will die. So, if you are going to fishless cycle the 2.5 gal, you need to add a source of ammonia (dead fish, piece of shrimp, some pure ammonia from the hardware store).

Back
Top Bottom