2 HOB filters on 20 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOMA

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a soon to be empty 20 gallon tank with an aquaclear 150/20 on it and i want to add another filter to it because i want to put 2 cichlids in there and they say you need a little more filtration than normal.

should i buy a small like 75gph filter and add it to my 20 gallon tank OR should i put my 150 onto my 10 gallon tank and buy an aquaclear 200 for my 20? would 150 gph be to much for a 10 gallon?

i would go with 2 aquaclear 20's as a general rule i take the tank size they say and cut in half. i have a couple 20s with ac 50 or 2 ac 30s

i would love to have a biowheel but i have heard they are very loud because of the water splashing, the tanks are in my room

Yes, biowheels are loud and IMO should be run with another filter... the water turnover is really not great.

However the other advice is good :)

What kind of cichlids in the 20gal?

i dont know, i want a pair of convicts but yes, i know "you need atleast a 40 gallon tank" but my problem is my access to cichlids is very small, i only have petsmart and petco, which sucks! :(

not always though if you have very limited options you do what you do. apistos would work in a 20 gallon.

what happens if you get the fish and its sick or is dead? send it back and get charged for shippin?

hmm, maybe im not willing to spend more then $10 dollars per fish though

what happens if you get the fish and its sick or is dead? send it back and get charged for shippin?
well good sellers dont send sick fish. just have to check the person you order from shipping policy. if you are limtied to petco and petsmart you prob not going to be able to find cichlids that will work in a 20 gallon.

I have both an Aqua Clear HOB and a Marineland biowheel built-in (built into the hood) set up, each in separate aquariums. They're both good filters, although I would probably err on the side of the Aqua Clear, I think, if I had to choose one over the other. I can say that my biowheel is not noisy per se - I can hear it if I get really close, but it's really not so loud that it's intrusive or would keep me awake or anything. And I've had multiple varieties of the biowheel. Just food for thought. I use an Aqua Clear 50 on my 10 gallon tank - it's totally silent and it does filter very, very well.

Back
Top Bottom