2 month old guppy question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fwbs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Approx 2 months ago my guppy had babies and I was able to save 9 total. She is no longer with us but since then everyone is growing at a normal pace, I'm able to differentiate now which ones are female, looks like 3 and the rest are males. However one guppy is extremely smaller than the rest of his siblings. We call him 'Wiggles'. Actually it doesnt look like he's grown out of the fry stage. He is very fiesty! What's going to happen to him if he never grows. I love him so much and would never rid him, but will his siblings eventually eat him?
Also I have 2 African Dwarf frogs in another 2 gallon tank, when can I introduce them to the 2 gallon and will it be safe? Please advise.

It is likely a genetic thing, hopefully he is just a slow grower and eventually he will catch up. He may never get larger and you will have to make accomidations for him.

Yeah, if you look at my album he is super super small, but very strong! I would definitely make special accomidations for him if I had to, I'd just hate to keep him all alone! Do you know when I should separate the males from females? I'm thinking soon but I don't think they are quite ready for the 2 gallon that have the dwarf frogs in them. I think they need to grow a bit more before I do this.

Well I've separated the males from the females now except the very small guppy. He's in with the boys because I still cannot tell what sex he is. He is just NOT GROWING! I'm getting concerned that he might get eaten, but I don't want him to be all alone. His brothers definitely don't bother him and he's super fast, but I'm not sure what to do!!??

Approx 2 months ago my guppy had babies and I was able to save 9 total. She is no longer with us but since then everyone is growing at a normal pace, I'm able to differentiate now which ones are female, looks like 3 and the rest are males. However one guppy is extremely smaller than the rest of his siblings. We call him 'Wiggles'. Actually it doesnt look like he's grown out of the fry stage. He is very fiesty! What's going to happen to him if he never grows. I love him so much and would never rid him, but will his siblings eventually eat him?
Also I have 2 African Dwarf frogs in another 2 gallon tank, when can I introduce them to the 2 gallon and will it be safe? Please advise.

Hello and welcome to AA! :D

First I have to address that 2 ADF's in a 2 gal is badly overstocked. And even worse, those frogs just don't have room to do much of anything in there. I definitely would not add any fish to that tank at any time. ADF's need a bare minimum of a 5 gal tank. Some will say more, but I think 5 is the absolute least they can thrive in. It needs to be filtered and heated to as close to 80F as you can. A 2 gal tank can house some shrimp and snails, but not much else can be kept properly in a tank of that size. Hopefully you can set them up a 5-10 gal asap, and get them atleast one more friend. They are social critters and do best in groups. Their new tank would need cycled before they are added to it, here's info on that: The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling

Your guppies will begin breeding very quickly so, I would seperate them right away. If you do not have suitable tanks (guppies need 10 gals minimum) I would recommend getting rid of all your females and just keeping males. Then you just won't have to worry about dealing with fry again.

Well I've separated the males from the females now except the very small guppy. He's in with the boys because I still cannot tell what sex he is. He is just NOT GROWING! I'm getting concerned that he might get eaten, but I don't want him to be all alone. His brothers definitely don't bother him and he's super fast, but I'm not sure what to do!!??
If you don't see it getting bothered I wouldn't worry.

As far as my ADF are concerned they are together by themselves in 78 degree filtered water and are doing fabulous. Looks like we'll be setting up larger tanks once the baby guppies are large enough

My intent is only to inform and help out, not to criticize so, I apologize if it offends you. A 2 gal tank just doesn't provide enough space for ADF's to move and swim around. If you saw them in a larger tank and had a chance to observe their natural behavior, you would see the 2 gal isn't providing enough space for them to thrive. Back and forth along a few inches of tank just isn't good enough for them IMO. I don't doubt they are surviving, but I can assure you, they aren't thriving.

As far as my ADF are concerned they are together by themselves in 78 degree filtered water and are doing fabulous. Looks like we'll be setting up larger tanks once the baby guppies are large enough
At 2 months old, your guppy babies should be large enough for a bigger tank. I add mine back into the guppy community as soon as they are too big to be swallowed.

Back
Top Bottom