2 rescue missions in one day

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

christine2012

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So last night I added some more sand to my tank to build up some areas. I kicked up a lot of debris, so when I was done I thought I'd stick a clarifier tab in there since I've never tried them before . Well I have this thing that floats, with a really small net to put tablets in it. When my tablet was gone I had completely forgot about it. Last night I went to feed my guys, I saw that my poor yellow lab had jumped up and landed right in the net. Luckily the net part stays under water. The poor guy was stiff and was STUCK stuck. Like we had to cut him out of it stuck. Now I am a forgetful person, but I will not be doing that again! Lesson learned :/
All this happens about an hour after I Was doing my scheduled gravel vac when my female acei decided to chase a piece of poo into my siphon! Guess she wanted to hitch a ride into the bucket. She is small so she hit the tube head first and ZOOMED down the line. I couldn't do much but stand there in shock. Luckily both fish survived my mishaps but are both shaken up. Just wanted to share, if you have one of those tablet nets, don't forget to take it out!

Oh yeah! I had a chocolate milk incident with my 10 gal and my 2 yr old yesterday as well. I know now that when a 2 yr old looks at a tank with human food and drink in his hand, and says 'eat', LOOK OUT!

christine2012 said:
So last night I added some more sand to my tank to build up some areas. I kicked up a lot of debris, so when I was done I thought I'd stick a clarifier tab in there since I've never tried them before . Well I have this thing that floats, with a really small net to put tablets in it. When my tablet was gone I had completely forgot about it. Last night I went to feed my guys, I saw that my poor yellow lab had jumped up and landed right in the net. Luckily the net part stays under water. The poor guy was stiff and was STUCK stuck. Like we had to cut him out of it stuck. Now I am a forgetful person, but I will not be doing that again! Lesson learned :/
All this happens about an hour after I Was doing my scheduled gravel vac when my female acei decided to chase a piece of poo into my siphon! Guess she wanted to hitch a ride into the bucket. She is small so she hit the tube head first and ZOOMED down the line. I couldn't do much but stand there in shock. Luckily both fish survived my mishaps but are both shaken up. Just wanted to share, if you have one of those tablet nets, don't forget to take it out!

Sorry to laugh, but funny! Almost sucked up a ghost shrimp once.

I had a guppy make it into my sink the other day. Somehow got siphoned up without me noticing, and sat in the bucket for a while, only to get poured into the sink. I carefully grabbed him up before he hit the drain and got him back in the tank. He's fine now, but I'm sure he was a little shaken up by his little journey.

Readin this lind scares me..i have 3 otos n male betta well the otos usually move away from me hen im cleanin but my betta is way more interested n always gets to close for my taste..now im gonna watch more closely then before...

My Bettas and mollies are the worst offenders in history. If I'm trying to net someone they will jump into the net and do anything to get in the way. When I'm using a vac they will fight with each other for the dubious "honor" of getting into my super sized gravel vac then sit there and wait happily for me to shake them out then the whole ridiculous process begins again. If I didn't know better I'd think they enjoy making me crazy.

Tetra1990 said:
Sorry to laugh, but funny! Almost sucked up a ghost shrimp once.

Oh! No worries! I have been laughing since the incidents. I wish I'd got a video of her zooming like a torpedo down the hose. Was a true nemo moment.

Once I was siphoning out water using small gravel vacuum. I left it unattended for a minute and when I came back dwarf gourami was sucked in all the way to the top of the tube. I pulled the tube up and he fell right back into a tank. I think I was more shocked than the fish.

Coursair said:
I use pantyhose over the end of my siphon or I take water out via my HOB filter, but I have to be super cautious with Cherry and Crystal Red Shrimp in my main 10g.

Yeah, I'm anticipating gravel vacs when I finally stock my shrimp tank. Its nowhere near time but I'm already getting nervous. I will probably end up rigging a contraption!

calfishguy said:
IMO there is no need for gravel vac in a planted shrimp tank.

I vacuum my ghost shrimps area occasionally. I do see a need for it. Admittedly my live plants are still rather sparse however.

calfishguy said:
IMO there is no need for gravel vac in a planted shrimp tank.

I rarely do a bit of hovering with my siphon to clear detritus from my sand. I do weekly water changes , but I siphon from my HOB filter to avoid sucking up Nano fish and Shrimpz

Coursair said:
I rarely do a bit of hovering with my siphon to clear detritus from my sand. I do weekly water changes , but I siphon from my HOB filter to avoid sucking up Nano fish and Shrimpz

Thats a good idea I never thought of that.

Coursair said:

Good idea indeed. Will be writing that one down. You guys should see my journal of stuff I've picked up on this forum! Chock full of good info in there from some very experienced members!

Oh yeah! I had a chocolate milk incident with my 10 gal and my 2 yr old yesterday as well. I know now that when a 2 yr old looks at a tank with human food and drink in his hand, and says 'eat', LOOK OUT!

Oh no! He wanted to feed the fish! :ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom