20 Gal Algae Bloom Issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sanchezkk

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a twenty gallon tank that I keep Glo-Fish in. Just these passed couple of months the tank has had green algae bloom. :banghead:We've done water change after water change and the green keeps coming back. I have a sw tank 55g and I don't have any issues like this with it. :facepalm: Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Kenn:(

What's your ligjting schedule and how old are the bulbs?

Actually, my wife leaves them on for 10-12 hours and the bulb she had was an actinic bulb, since they look better with the glo-fish. She recently changed out a bulb for a ZooMed 50/50 bulb and she was still getting green water after a few hours actually. Since I wrote about the issues she has done a 75% w and it is now 1:25 pm the next day (Not quite 24 hours). She also scraped the back glass of the tank and I cannot see any algae growing back as usual as of yet.:thanks:

Actually, my wife leaves them on for 10-12 hours and the bulb she had was an actinic bulb, since they look better with the glo-fish. She recently changed out a bulb for a ZooMed 50/50 bulb and she was still getting green water after a few hours actually. Since I wrote about the issues she has done a 75% w and it is now 1:25 pm the next day (Not quite 24 hours). She also scraped the back glass of the tank and I cannot see any algae growing back as usual as of yet.:thanks:
Leave the light on for 4-6hours, and try doing frequent water changes(Not too frequent), to dilute the nutrients.
Make sure not to use any chemicals to remove algae, as this can be harmful for you're fish.

Leave the light on for 4-6hours, and try doing frequent water changes(Not too frequent), to dilute the nutrients.
Make sure not to use any chemicals to remove algae, as this can be harmful for you're fish.

The only chemical that we use for that tank is tap water conditioner.:hide:

The only chemical that we use for that tank is tap water conditioner.:hide:
That is more of a water stabilizer, as it stabilizes the metals and the toxic gasses. You should be fine if you followed my advice, hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom