20 gal community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cjrom1022

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just set up a new 20 gal standard planted tank. while it is cycling, I'm trying to decide which fish to stock it with without overcrowding. I have:

4 corys
4 neon tetras
3 fancy guppies (male)
2 platys

I would like to have more guppies and tetras but I don't want to overstock. Would I be able to fit anymore while keeping my tank sustainable? I'm also thinking about adding SAE but i'm not sure if they're schooling fish or not. I've read articles that say they are and ones that say they aren't. So, are they schooling fish or are they not? I would like too only put one in my tank, but if I need a school, I wont add them. Let me know! Thank you!

Looks like a nice variety of fish. Corys and neons are schooling/shoaling fish and like to be in groups larger than four, so I'd suggest getting a couple more corys (what species are you buying) and at least five more neons. I have a school of 11 in a 20-long, and they can be stunning.

You could probably put two more male guppies in and maybe delete the platys. or vice versa.

As far as I know, SAE are not schoolers, but perhaps someone here knows better than I.

Great, thank you so much! and I was thinking of panda corys. do you think 6-8 of them would be better?

Try a black kuhli loach. They r so cute!
Kuhlis are cute, but need a school of at least 6-8, more is better. With about 7 panda cories, 7 neon tetras, and 3-4 male guppies or platies, sounds like they'll be good on stocking.

Kuhlis are cute, but need a school of at least 6-8, more is better. With about 7 panda cories, 7 neon tetras, and 3-4 male guppies or platies, sounds like they'll be good on stocking.

so add just those 3, or add the loaches too?

so add just those 3, or add the loaches too?
Sorry, I meant without the kuhlis. I mean, you could do kuhlis if you rearranged your stocking, but I'd recommend against it because they need the footprint of a 20-long ideally.

Panda cories are super cute bottom dwellers.

Sorry, I meant without the kuhlis. I mean, you could do kuhlis if you rearranged your stocking, but I'd recommend against it because they need the footprint of a 20-long ideally.

Panda cories are super cute bottom dwellers.

ohhh gotcha. ok, thank you so much! you really helped me

Back
Top Bottom