20 gal stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mazie51109

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 20 gal that's been up and running for about two years now. I was wondering if my stocking is okay or if anyone has any recommendations.

1x 4 inch blue gourami
4x hi fin tetra
2 ADFs
1x 5 inch common pleco (only temporary- I'm boarding it for my grandmother until she gets home from Montana next week and brings him back to her 55 gal.)

I was hoping to get a school of cories? And advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do you have a regular 20g or a 20 long? You could do a small shoal of cories but I'd stay with something like Panda's.

okay, thanks! Two of the hi-fin tetras have died in the past three days, so I decided to test the water. The pH is about 8.0, so I'm treating it and waiting to buy more fish until it is correct. I'm pretty sure that's what killed the tetras. Is there any other types of fish that you would recommend once I get the pH corrected? I would like something unique to replace the hi-fins.

okay, thanks! Two of the hi-fin tetras have died in the past three days, so I decided to test the water. The pH is about 8.0, so I'm treating it and waiting to buy more fish until it is correct. I'm pretty sure that's what killed the tetras. Is there any other types of fish that you would recommend once I get the pH corrected? I would like something unique to replace the hi-fins.

How long have you had the tetras? Also how long has the tank been set up? I strongly suggest not messing with the PH. IMO the only safe way to lower Ph is to use RO water to cut in with your tap water to lower kh/gh/ph. Don't use chemicals.

I would do an immediate 25-50% PWC. The Pleco may have caused ammonia. They are very dirty fish. PH rarely ever causes fish deaths.

Test for Ammonia and Nitrates/Nitrites !

Keep doing PWCs till Ammonia and trates are safe levels. Use Prime and match temp.

I don't think you'll be able to maintain water quality in a 20G with a common pleco, the bioload will be too much I imagine.

The OP is boarding the Pleco for one more week. I think they just need to change and test the water.

Ah apologies to the OP then. I'm far too cynical these days and when I saw 'Common Pleco' plus 'temporary' I just assumed it was being housed temporarily till it became stunted and then given back to the LFS.

Back
Top Bottom