20 gal stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HAnnAH10gal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a new 20 gal high tank. No real plants and it has 40 gals of filtration on it. What are some great stocking ideas?! I am def adding corydoras to this tank.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Pencil fish or some male guppies would look nice.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have 2 20 g highs and my sticking goes as:

Tank 1:
6 albino Cory cats
10 neon tetras
2 glass catfish

Tank 2:
6 harlequin rasboras
6 Sterbai Cory Cats
2 bolivian Rams (mating pair)
1 mystery snail

If you want more of a peaceful looking tank with schooling fish, I advise Cardinal or neon tetras.

Maybe for a different type of tank, you can get some red cherry shrimp. They are amazing shrimp for show, and clean your tank quite nicely.

For an aggressive tank, you can get discus or angel fish but that is cutting it very close for the minimal tank size for these fish. I really wouldn't advise too aggressive fish like mbunas and more aggressive cichlids such as oscars.

For a community tank that is PLANTED, any type of rainbow fish would like very nice. They generally swim in the middle of the tank so you can have fish or shrimp that like staying at the bottom, or even catfish.

Anyways, good luck ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

- had the same question - following and learning

I have 2 20 g highs and my sticking goes as:

Tank 1:
6 albino Cory cats
10 neon tetras
2 glass catfish

Tank 2:
6 harlequin rasboras
6 Sterbai Cory Cats
2 bolivian Rams (mating pair)
1 mystery snail

I had the same question, mine is 20 long not high. you do okay w/ the 2 rams and the schools? i was at the lfs earlier and was told that 2 rams in a 20L would be way to much and 1 would kill the other. obviously this is not the case for you. i currently have guppies and fry but my daughter and I would like to change it to something more fun and interesting (like our angelfish). glad to see that someone can do this and assuming its working out fine.

I had the same question, mine is 20 long not high. you do okay w/ the 2 rams and the schools? i was at the lfs earlier and was told that 2 rams in a 20L would be way to much and 1 would kill the other. obviously this is not the case for you. i currently have guppies and fry but my daughter and I would like to change it to something more fun and interesting (like our angelfish). glad to see that someone can do this and assuming its working out fine.

My 2 Rams had already paired off before I put them in this tank, they don't bother any of the other fish and are very calm and peaceful. They just follow each other around the tank minding their own business. They rarely show signs of aggression and it only comes out when it's feeding time.

I'm going to have to respectfully disagree with a few of the suggestions...
A 20 really isn't sufficient space for an angelfish or discus IMHO. If you want rainbows, they would need to be smaller species like blue eyes or threadfins and be in groups. I'm not 100% on the threadfins in this size tank though, I've never kept them personally.
Smaller tetras and rasboras are good bets, as are guppies, shrimp, or maybe some swordtails or platys. I've been told you have a better shot with a pair of rams in a 20L than a 20 tall. Apistos could be another option.
CPDs are also cool smaller fish.
What kind of cories are you getting?

Dumb question, CPD's what is it? I've been seeing it a lot and can't figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Celestial pearl danio or galaxy rasboras!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Easy fish for a 20g
Cherry Barbs 6 (2m4f)
Harlequin Rasboras 6
Panda Cories ( stay 2")

Or

CPDs should be with other Nano fish species IMHO

If you want CPDs get a big group of 12-20 and build stock list with them in mind.

Here are my CPDs in a 10g
(Overstock disclaimer)

http://youtu.be/aptmdICahvM

CPDs
Threadfin Rainbows
Cory habrosus
Otos
Scarlet Badis
CRS and RCS

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So pretty sure I made up my mind im adding a school of neons, one male ram, some panda Corys if I can find them otherwise just reg corys, and then two little otocinculus. Idk if I could fit much else in that tank but those fishes mentioned will look great I think.

Well Otos are social. Do more if there is room. Also add them last. They are more fragile and need a mature tank.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I totally agree with Tina. I have 7 Oto in my 29 gal and will be adding more. They are an amazing fish. They are so playful, energetic and great cleaners, and as Tina said they are very ( very very ) fragile. Take time to acclimate them well, IME they do not do well with change.

I have the otos already!! ?? I figured they would be good to add now.....oh well....hopefully the live.

Back
Top Bottom