20 gal tall stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fissyfriend

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello! So I have a 20gal tall and am having a heard time with fish to stock my tank with. I currently have one male guppy and two cobra endlers (also have a false upside down catfish that I'm moving into my 55gal). I want to put a betta in it but outside of that I'm falling short on ideas... Ideally I would like fish that swim on all levels of the tank. Low, mid and top dwelling fish. Any ideas? Any and all suggestions/recommendations welcome! Thank you in advance!

Lemon tetras, cardinal tetras, neon tetras, black neon tetras, Celebes rainbows, pristella "x-ray" tetras, harlequin rasboras, GloFish, platys, and danios.

I'd be a little wary of putting a male betta with guppies. It can work, but, depending on color and tail of the guppies, the betta might see the males as challengers. Just keep an eye on them after you introduce him and be prepared to separate them if need be.

Dwarf Gouramis are always a pleasant alternative if you decide not to go the Betta route (I agree with Barliman on his point about their potential aggression. Bettas tend to be intelligent/bombastic personality fish. Not one fish is going to be like the other). This is because dwarf gouramis will fill a similar role in providing colour and shape variety to the tank. These fish are going to be all over the tank, but they tend to be a little more shy than a Betta would be.

I have never had Apple Snails, but I have heard plenty of great things about them from the others on the forum. I think these guys will travel all over the tank. Someone with more experience with them will probably jump in at some point and better explain things. I have seen some recently that really caught my eye, so colourful and big. I've been tempted to get a 2 gallon fish bowl just to keep one while I'm at University. :banghead: I might have Multi-Tank Syndrome but I am fighting it as hard as I can.

Swordtails are, IMO, one of the more attractive livebearers around. Though this opinion is more that I really like having more unique body shapes in the tank, as well as a variety of different colour morphs. These guys tend to be all over the tank as well.

Oto catfish are another potential, a schooling fish too, though these guys are more sensitive than any of the aforementioned guys. Otos are a shy fish that tend to hang out in the bottom of the tank, or inside/around any decorations in the tank. You'd need to get sinking algae wafers for them and ensure that they are eating them. Not the best option for a tank that hasn't matured yet but I figured I would suggest 'em anyway.

Cardinal Tetras are amazing, for a dash of colour and schooling. They are mid-top tank fish and do best in groups of +7. I think a school of ten or more makes a tank look really nice, and they'll be providing the tank with more motion than the others would on their own, from my own past experience.

Back
Top Bottom