20 gal.. what can I put in it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DragonFish

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi again.

Im doing research to see what I can put into a 20 gal tank. it'll be planted, heated, with air pump and of course, a filter. i set it up today.

Right now, I have a betta in it to help cycle the tank. Im not going to add any other fish in for a few weeks at least.

Im thinking of a couple of gourami's. I want to stay away from guppies since I have a few in another tank.

I like angel fish, but is 20 gal too small for one?

what else can I get? and what's compatable? I'd like a list of options so I can look into them.

thanks!

is the betta male or female? and also you shoukd find out what types of fish will not hurt the plants, maybe some schooling tetras of various species but wait to see whatr some other people say im not so great with types of fish and how they act but i try :D

its a male. one of my current ones I have, a regular Veil Tail betta. My Half Moon Bettas are too spoiled enough as it is, I thought my VT deserves a 20 gal tank for awhile, lol.

I've been looking on liveaquaria.com, and so far, gourami's seems like the best, but I want other opinions and suggestions as well.

anyone know a list of fish that's good for 20 gals? Im looking at liveaquaria, and its hard to just keep clicking on each fish just to see what size tank its best for. I want a list that's already a given for 20 gals.

thanks again

I've heard sometimes bettas and gouramis may not tolerate each other, although I have not experienced that personally. Just giving a warning that there's a possibility you could have a problem with them together.
Dwarf gouramis might work, some small schooling fish and cories make a nice stock for a 20g.

Praecox Rainbow's or Celebes Rainbow's.....very pretty fish. Small school of tetras (your choice) although I am partial to neon's. Small school of zebra danios, fancy guppies, school of whiteclouds, a few platy's.....list goes on. Obviously you can't put these all in at once, but they would all be fine however you wanted to mix and match. Here is what I would do:

3 Praecox Rainbows
8-10 Neon Tetras
3 male fancy guppies
2 Otocinclus cats

Good Luck!!

That is a nice mix, andos. I may consider that, but with threadfin rainbow instead. Its a possibility. Im hoping my LFS carries them, I really dont want to order fish over the internet

Back
Top Bottom