Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-04-2005, 04:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

20 gallon

I have a 10 gallon aquarium that has been set up for a while. I inherited a 20 gallon from my grandparents, but decided not to set it up due to the size and having no where to put it (I'm in college, and share an on-campus apartment). After learning a TON about fish (I've been on this forum for a while and have been looking at anything I can get my hands on about fish) I would really like to set up the 20 gallon. The only question I have is what would the cost be? As a college student, I have to budget my money pretty well. I am aware that fish keeping is expensive, but I have a lot of things (food, salt, testing supplies, etc.) already from my 10 gallon so i at least wouldn't have to buy that for a while. What would be a cost estimate to get a tropical tank set up? I would need a stand, filter, heater basically everything other than the tank and hood. Anyone with a 20 gallon have any input? Thanks!! (Also, buying fish wouldn't be a problem, as my sister has guppies that will not stop breeding and I have one male and 2 female mollies)

Thank you!

Old 02-04-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to lyquidphyre
im a college student with no money and I manage to keep two 29's and a 75gal

Always shop around and look in your local papers and even ebay for things. I personally think you could set up your tank for less than $50 if you shop around
Stand- go to any garage sales or thrift stores and find a table that will support approx. 300lbs. You could find something like that for less than $20. My boyfriends 29gal sits on a table he bought for $4
Filter- you can look on ebay but most of the time try to find weekly specials at petstore.. that will roughly be about $25ish dollars (give or take)
Heater- less than $10
Gravel- $5-$10 depending on what you get

Good luck! =o)

lyquidphyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
Use sand and you can reduce the cost (home depot or building center, should be about 4$ considering I can get 80lbs for 4$ up here), filter, most filters brand new for that size tank are 15-20$

The most expensive thing will be the hood and light.. (25$ US from petsmart for a 24" flourescent hood, bulb included)

so rough cost would be about 60-70$ (no decorations or plants, but you can get stones and such from dollar stores as some people here have.)
Old 02-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow, that's a lot cheaper than what I thought. I just went to thatpetplace.com to get a rough estimate, and my total ran up to about 135. But that wasn't really shopping around at all. Also, how necessary is it to have something like an air stone and an air pump? I have one in my current tank ( a wand along the back) and it looks cool, but does it have any benefit for the fish? I should look on ebay for stands, I'll go to garage sales in the spring, I'm sure I can find something. Thanks for the help! Also, Sorry for so many questions, but how much gravel (or sand) would I need for a 20 gallon? I have between 3 and 5 in the tank I have now, I can't remember, so would I just need to double that?
Old 02-04-2005, 04:37 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzard~Of~Ozz
The most expensive thing will be the hood and light.. (25$ US from petsmart for a 24" flourescent hood, bulb included)
He already has the hood (and im assuming the light inside it)... and you are right its the most expensive thing... so if he has that.. getting everything else won't be that costly

Old 02-04-2005, 04:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to Wizzard~Of~Ozz
ahhh, observant

roughly 1.25lbs gravel per gallon (so ballpark @ a 25lb bag)
Sand, about 2 lbs per gallon.

No need to appologize about questions.

iyou don't really need an airpump (I don't run mine much at all) but it's handy to have just incase you need it (battery powered is good) for power outages..

So Approx 45$ on the top end for Filter, Heater, substrate and that leaves a stand, if you have a thrift store (amity, or the like) then I'ld check there if you aren't too concerned with looks.
Old 02-04-2005, 05:09 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

only thing i'll add is don't skimp on the heater...buy a reliable brand and u'll have an unparalleled peace of mind...
lesson learnt form buying cheap heaters...

75g : Malawi
40g breeder: Planted community
29g : SA(change of plans...again)
20g : community ("given" to a friend)
tetrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 06:03 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Drake
I would recommend www.bigalsonline.com because they have just about anything you need including filters, heaters, air pumps, lighting and just about everything else for about half the price of any pet store.
10 gallon-brackish, figure-eight puffer, knight goby
Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2005, 06:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

she by the way thanks so much everyone
Old 02-04-2005, 07:35 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ha sorry about that *snicker* Im a she too but people think im a he sometimes (not in real life mind you!). Oh, not to be stereotypical... but since you are a girl, you will TOTALLY find more bargins... its just what we do =o)

when you have some money, I would suggest getting an airpump and airstone just incase at some point you don't have enough aurface aeration. In my 75gal I don't use an airstone or anything... but once I filled the tank too full and all my fish were at the surface of the water "gasping" for air. The airstone came in handy then

Tags
20 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com