Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-16-2006, 12:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to nitrous Send a message via MSN to nitrous
20 gallon

Well since i thought my 20 gallon's algae problem was caused by very low bio-load, i put my kenyi chiclid in my 15 gallon lone, only with snails, which are becoming very few becuase the kenyi is going to town eating them all. So now in my 20 gallon i have 3 golden danios, 2 red eye tetras, and 4 black skirt tetras, also some ghost shrimp? I think but i havent seen them and i dont think any of them will eat them. here are my questions though...

1. I want to make sure but, will any of these fish eat shrimp?

2. i have some resadue of brownish algae and i want to know if i can get a small pleco for this tank. since it is heavily planted, will the pleco be okay with not that much room. i was planning on getting one that doesnt get too big, i know the common plecos get real big so i want a smaller one. any suggestions of species will be great.

thanks in advance and i will get some pics of the tank tomarrow

nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:08 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Hi nitrous.

1. I doubt it. If you still don't see them, check after you shut your lights off at night and see if they come out.

2. For the algae, what about a school of otocinculus catfish? They'll go to town on your brown algae and love to graze on plants. Otherwise, a small bristlenose pleco may work in your 20 gallon if you want one.

HTH

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to nitrous Send a message via MSN to nitrous
ya i like the look of the plecos more and id rather not have to go online for an oto and by graze, do you mean eat?

thanks
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 02:17 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I wouldn't expect a low bioload would cause algae? Only if you are feeding for 10 and only have 5? Then it would be the uneaten food causing nutrients for the algae? Try and limit any direct or indirect sunlight too, that can really cut down on the algae. Bristlnenose plecos don't get that big, in the 4 to 6 inch range.

Tags
20 gallon

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com