20 Gallon Algae Eater decisions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nickcmanning

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
In my tank right now, I have one Ottocinclus catfish from when I had my ten gallon. Due to the doubling in size, I was looking for ideas of what I should get in my tank to compensate. I can't see one little Otto being the garbage truck for the whole tank. Are there any other algae eaters out there good for a 20g tank other thank ottos? I was told to possibly get a pleco, but they get huge and they are certainly not the most attractive looking things in the world. I was considering just getting a few more ottos but I would like to know my other options if there are any.

Thanks Guys.
-Nick

there are some awesome looking plecos that stay pretty small. Not sure about one for a 20 gallon tank. Do some research. Look on Aquabid to get some ideas.

I think you should go with more ottos. The existing otto will be happier as well. If you want something different, go with a bristlenose

Is it true that Otto cats are like...poorly transported or something? I read a post on another thread about the Ottos saying that they die a lot because of how they are shipped but if you get one that survives longer than two weeks, you're good.
Any truth to that?

Is it true that Otto cats are like...poorly transported or something? I read a post on another thread about the Ottos saying that they die a lot because of how they are shipped but if you get one that survives longer than two weeks, you're good.
Any truth to that?

Yeah that is true. You need to find a decent stockist with some decent stock. make sure they have nice full tummies, and there are not a load of dead ottos. Feed them up well, and only add them to tanks with lots of algae which are mature and stable. Once settled, they are reasonably easy to keep :)

Back
Top Bottom