20 gallon community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I am a knowledgeable aquarist and I will soon be setting up a 20 gallon freshwater community tank for a few relatives.
This will be their first aquarium, so the fish choices are going to be mostly beginner fish, and the tank will start off artificially planted; live planting may come in the future.

We've visited fish stores, and they like these fish:
Platies
Tiger Barbs
Swordtails
Zebra Danios
Blue Gouramis
Harlequin Rasboras
Corydoras
Guppies
Clown Plecos
Otocinclus
(for the livebearers, don't want fry- so please list the genders of the livebearers you may suggest in a stocking plan)

With those listed fish, perhaps adding in some more as they fit conveniently into the stocking plans, can you guys suggest perhaps three or four different stocking plans for their 20 gallon?
These stocking plans, I would hope, to include "clean up" fish as well (cories, clown plecs, etc)

TIA :)

you shouldnt get every fish on the list, remember your limit is 20 fish. I recommend 6 zebras, 1 pleco, 1 gourami, 3 cories, and some FEMALE platies. You could also try a few FEMALE mollies.

anthoeny does not want every fish, he would like suggestions on what to get from the list.
anthoeny if you don't want fry, go only with male livebearers. Females are capable of storing sperm for long periods of time.

I think most ppl would recommend a balance of fish types.

I'd def. advise getting 6 Cories, 6+ Harlequin Rasboras and 2-4 otos. This will more or less round off the bioload on the 20 gallon tank. I think two schools of fish is better than 4 or 5 smaller groups, as many of the fish you've mentioned (danios, rasboras, barbs) are schoolers. You could get a blue gourami, but these can be slightly aggressive.

There's no need to get the livebearers... with this set-up you probably won't have to worry about babies. Danios do mate constantly, but their eggs and fry seldom survive in an aquarium due to predation.

HTH

I am not positive, but don't clown plecos get fairly large? Perhaps you would be better off with a dwarf species such as the rubberlip or bristlenose.

I might be wrong, so I'm off to the cat e-log to double check for you.

*edit

I was wrong, they do stay small.
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/panaque/734_f.php

Make sure you get a nice piece of driftwood for your pleco to munch on.

This I can say from experience, don't go with the Harlequins. They are beautiful but not good starter fish and they are an easy and primary target for larger more aggressive fish.

The zebras on the other hand are some of my favorite fish. They are hardy so they make great beginner fish and as they mature their markings become very interesting. I can actually tell each of my danios apart and even more so as they grow in size. They are also fun to watch. Mine like to chase each other and make for alot of activity.

And lastly, may I suggest spotted or albino cory cats. I have the spotted variety and they are soooo cute! They look like little leopards! Just remember to advise them to feed sinking shrimp pellets. They are good cleanup fish but they still need their own diet to keep them healthy.

Hope this gives a little help for some of the fish you have listed. Happy hunting!

I only have a 10-gallon, so I wanted the opportunity to play, too. Then, after making my selections, I checked what everyone else had suggested and mine matched Madasafish's :? I guess I didn't get here quick enough. So, I'll just "second" that person's recommendations.

This is so much a matter of preference. I'd nix the live bearers. I would chose the hardiest fish. Zebras are cool and 6 of those would make a very active tank. I'd also include 6 rasbora, perhaps a pair of blue gouramis and 4 corys. That should make for an appealing and easy to keep aquarium :D .

As already mentioned it is all about personal preference.
I suggest about 6 tiger barbs a few clown plecos as they stay small for the cleanup crew and one red tailed black shark. The tiger barbs are very active fish and love to play plus they add lots of color to your tank and the shark is very awsome looking with its bright red tail. They get along great as well as they are both semi-aggressive. This is my set up in my 50gal (they just moved from a 20gal because they are also with some large clown loaches) I have found all these fish very easy maintence wise and not picky eaters!

Good luck with you choices!

Hey, agreeing isn't such a bad thing, Mere Air. :roll: At least you've got an ally!

that person's recommendations
I'm a guy, btw. :lol:

Hehe. Brian and I also think the same way. I'm not crazy about most livebearers (excepting Endler's, Halfbeaks, Coelacanths).

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. :)

I've came up with these 4 possible stocking plans, I believe they will all work with regular care and maintenance?

3 x Otos
4 x Cories
6 x Zebra Danios
3 x Guppies (1 M / 2 F)

1 x Bristlenose Pleco
6 x Tiger Barbs

4 x Cories
6 x Zebra Danios
3 x Platies (1 M / 2 F)

1 x Bristlenose Pleco
6 x Black Widow Tetras
2 x Cherry Barbs