20 gallon long stocking?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Panda Corydoras

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello new member here!
I just bought a 20 gallon long today!
And I came here to ask you guys a stocking plan for it.
Before we get started I know of the fish less cycle. I got a friend helping me out.
And this is the list I came up with.
My be be a big overstocked?
8 Scooling fish haven't decided yet
6 species of Cory that I haven't decided on yet
6 Kulhi Loaches
2 German blue rams
2 African dwarf frog which I know I'm gonna need to hand feed
12 shrimp
2 snails
Thank you for all the replies
And any suggestions on my stocking is appreciated

I think your stock looks to be too much, but with some minor adjustments, you would probably get by fine. I would cut the Cory cats back by 1 and be sure to stick to a small schooler, maybe just 7 instead of 8. Harlequin rasboras are beautiful schoolers that stay small enough to fit the bill. Finally, I think you should reconsider on the Kuhlis. They are very cool, but often hide and would add lots to your bioload for very little visual benefit. Will this be a planted tank? Heavy plants will buy you more wiggle room on your stock.

Hello new member here!
I just bought a 20 gallon long today!
And I came here to ask you guys a stocking plan for it.
Before we get started I know of the fish less cycle. I got a friend helping me out.
And this is the list I came up with.
My be be a big overstocked?
8 Scooling fish haven't decided yet
6 species of Cory that I haven't decided on yet
6 Kulhi Loaches
2 German blue rams
2 African dwarf frog which I know I'm gonna need to hand feed
12 shrimp
2 snails
Thank you for all the replies
And any suggestions on my stocking is appreciated

Welcome!
I think your list is too much, try this
School- 8 neon tetras/ glowlight tetras/ harlequin rasboras
Centerpiece- a dwarf or honey gourami
5 cories- your choice
7 kuhli loaches, they come out a lot when in a large enough group
1 German blue ram
2 snails, or one mystery/ apple snail
No shrimp because they could get eaten
No frog because there is a chance it will be outcompeted for food

Stock list is fine if you get rid of either the Cory Cats or Loaches. I would take the loaches off the list, you won't see them as much. I wouldn't take away from the schools. They are schooling fish, anyways.

Welcome! I think your list is too much, try this School- 8 neon tetras/ glowlight tetras/ harlequin rasboras Centerpiece- a dwarf or honey gourami 5 cories- your choice 7 kuhli loaches, they come out a lot when in a large enough group 1 German blue ram 2 snails, or one mystery/ apple snail No shrimp because they could get eaten No frog because there is a chance it will be outcompeted for food

Nice, Goldfish Loach Boy. That's the kind of advice people need. I totally agree with this stocking list, and I really shouldn't bad mouth loaches since I don't keep them and don't know much about how they do in a large group. One thing I would throw out there would be to consider 6 or 7 rummy nose tetras as your schooler. I LOVE these fish.

Nice, Goldfish Loach Boy. That's the kind of advice people need. I totally agree with this stocking list, and I really shouldn't bad mouth loaches since I don't keep them and don't know much about how they do in a large group. One thing I would throw out there would be to consider 6 or 7 rummy nose tetras as your schooler. I LOVE these fish.

Yea or you can add some rummy noses, they will add a different color than your other fish and will look nice, good option

Wow, thanks for all the help. I will consider all the options you guys provided and use the one I like best. Although I feel like it will end up with me cutting out the loaches since they are best in large numbers and I would have to cut back a little bit everywhere else to accommodate for them. As for the frogs, will food competition be an issue if they are hand fed? Or just stay away from frogs no matter what?

Well, I mean you can give it a shot, but it will take a time for it to get used to hand feeding, and even then there are other problems
What I say is, frogs do best with other feogsn

Ok thanks, as for the shrimp, my friend BL1ND 1ND3X has almost an identical stock in his 60 gallon tank as the stock I have posted. He obviously can fit more stuff than me but the species are the same, and yet he has 12 ghost shrimp. What is it in my stocking list that won't allow for shrimp?

I have fed my ADFs blood worms with a turkey baster since I got them, and they took to it right away. Definitely a pain in the butt, especially if someone else is watching your tank while you're out of town. It does work though, and it's easy, just not as easy as dropping pellets in. They are really fun though.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Pricella tetras as your schoolers.

Keep the cities, lose the loaches.

Maybe instead of a bigger fish, just add more schoolers, or cories!

For shrimp, 1 or 2 flower shrimp, or a vampire once its established. It filters micro goodies in the water column, I never fed mine.

Upgrading my 10 to a 20l possibly tomorrow, doing nearly the same thing

10gal hitech/5gal lowtech

I had some ADFs in a 20, I used to pinch bloodworms between my finger and just hold it in front of them, they'll eat right out of your hand.

I had some ADFs in a 20, I used to pinch bloodworms between my finger and just hold it in front of them, they'll eat right out of your hand.

Does it ever make you wonder how they could possibly survive in the wild? :). They seem to have ZERO hunting instincts. I guess that's what we get for sticking them in faster moving water.

Yeah from what I've read the live in sluggish giant puddles and whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom