20 gallon long stocking help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishychick

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am so sorry to post yet another stocking question, but like others I've researched myself into total indecision and confusion.

I'm cycling a 20 gallon long to re-home my albino and bronze corys. I have one of each now and plan on buying 4 to 5 more of each. What else should I get? (other than guppies, already have those in a 20 tall)
I feel like I can't get any schooling fish like rasboras or something because then AqAdvisor says I'm overstocked.

I was totally sold on getting 1 or 2 dwarf gouramis, but my research shows me they can be skittish and my home is not exactly a "quiet environment" with a 4-year-old and two big obnoxious labradors.
What do you guys recommend? My filter is a Marineland Penguin 150B. Thank you so much. My head has been spinning for weeks trying to decide what to do.
:banghead:

Maybe 5 or 6 pseudomugil rainbows? They're schooling fish but only grow to like an inch long.

Honestly, your DG's would most likely be fine. When people mean skittish it just means they will hide if you tap the tank or surprise them. In time they will adapt and not fear you less. Just make sure they have some hiding places and you will be good. A word of advice on DG's, the males MAY fight. Some do, some don't.

That being said, if you were to get 1-2 DG's, I would suggest a shoal (loose school) of cherry barbs. Maybe like 6 corydoras total would work.

Not sure if you have driftwood, but your plec would love that haha

Honestly, your DG's would most likely be fine. When people mean skittish it just means they will hide if you tap the tank or surprise them. In time they will adapt and not fear you less. Just make sure they have some hiding places and you will be good. A word of advice on DG's, the males MAY fight. Some do, some don't.

That being said, if you were to get 1-2 DG's, I would suggest a shoal (loose school) of cherry barbs. Maybe like 6 corydoras total would work.
I was thinking of getting either 1 male DG or 2 females. Would that work? I had considered tiger barbs, but I thought cherry and tiger barbs needed 30 gallons so I didn't know if they would work in a 20 long?

I go back and forth between getting 6 of each cory or just getting 3 of each and hoping they shoal together.

I have a dwarf gourami in my 20 long and he's my favorite fish. I was a little worried about him being skittish because my tank is right beside my tv in my living room, and I have 2 dogs that are always running around, but he is doing wonderful. He settled in instantly and is always at the front of the tank swimming around.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Ooooh, those are cool looking. Are they difficult to keep? I'm still pretty new so I'm looking for something kind of for beginners.

I'm a rainbow expert, and I wouldn't say they're very hard to care for. They like lots of live plants and should be in a small school of at least 5, but are generally easy to care for.

There are also different kinds of pseudomugil rainbows, like the furcata rainbow, gertrude's rainbow, paska's neon red rainbow, and signifer rainbow. My favourite is the signifer, but I've only kept the furcata.

I have a dwarf gourami in my 20 long and he's my favorite fish. I was a little worried about him being skittish because my tank is right beside my tv in my living room, and I have 2 dogs that are always running around, but he is doing wonderful. He settled in instantly and is always at the front of the tank swimming around.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

That's funny, that's exactly where my tank is, under my TV, and in-between the speakers. I was kind of worried about that too. But good to know yours is doing good. Maybe I will reconsider. Thanks!

It's almost impossible to find female DG's because they aren't very colorful at all. Also, I would get the same kind of cory. My separate cory species didn't shoal together and I was disappointed.

My dwarf gourami is in a 20g tank on an end table that my 18 month old uses to line his cars on in front of and I have found him to become curious of it. I have a lot of fake plants in it now also that add some shade so I think that helps him feel covered, but he does hide every time I do a wc or mess around in the tank for any reason, but he will come out for food or to look through the glass.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423320717.486048.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

[/QUOTE]I was thinking of getting either 1 male DG or 2 females. Would that work? I had considered tiger barbs, but I thought cherry and tiger barbs needed 30 gallons so I didn't know if they would work in a 20 long?

I go back and forth between getting 6 of each cory or just getting 3 of each and hoping they shoal together.[/QUOTE]

The females ARE harder to find, but you can ask your LFS to get some in for you. By 6 cories, I noticed you have bronzes, I would up their school instead of getting another one. They are much more interesting when chillin with each other. :)

Cherries are good to go in a 20 Long, I wouldn't do Tiger Barbs, they are incredibly aggressive in smaller tanks and in smaller schools. You would need like double digits to avoid aggression, but then your tank wouldnt be compatible.

Cherries are peaceful and a good option with a DG.

Cherries are peaceful and you can keep just a trio, they'll be quite happy.

Absolutely love my furcata though (y)

Even 6 would work. If you get a trio, grab one that is red and two tan ones (easiest way to get the correct ratio of 1m:2f). Typically they will be showing off at the LFS atleast a little.

How about;
4 albino cory (currently have 1)
4 bronze cory (currently have 1)
1 dwarf gourami
3 cherry barbs
AqAdvisor says I'd be 74% stocked with a filtration capacity of 103%. If I get do 6 albino and 6 bronze corys, AqAdvisor says I basically can't add anything else unless I add filtration. Maybe I should just do that and make it wall corys all the time! Why is this so hard? Lol.

I think you could that.

You could probably squeeze in 2 more Cherry Barbs. So maybe 2 males and 3 females.

Plants will help.

If you add a Pothos vine to the tank or the filter that will help keep your water in good shape as well.
Google planted HOB filter ?

I think you could that.

You could probably squeeze in 2 more Cherry Barbs. So maybe 2 males and 3 females.

Plants will help.

If you add a Pothos vine to the tank or the filter that will help keep your water in good shape as well.
Google planted HOB filter ?

Wait...whaaaaat??? A Pothos vine? You mean I'm paying $7-$12 a plant at my lfs when all this time I could be clipping pieces off the Pothos vine that is literally, sitting it a pot right next to my tanks?? Mind. Blown. :face palm:
It never ceases to amaze me the stuff I learn from you Coursair...So, you just cut it off and drop it in?

LOL yes, you just want the roots in the tank or in your filter. The vine will be growing out of the top. They are nitrate sponges as far as I know and can help keep your tank balanced, plus they look cool.

And thank you. I learned a lot of what I know from this site, The Planted Tank forums (TPT), aquatic plant central forums and from my planted tank club.

Back
Top Bottom