20 gallon planted tank stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

melketor

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone
I'm coming back to the hobby after a long break. I started a 20 gallon planted aquarium and I have a couple of questions about compatibility. It's a low light tank with Wisteria, couple different types of anubias and java fern that's been running for 2 months. I currently have a male betta, wood shrimp, ghost shrimps, 6 neon tetras and a pitbull pleco. I would like to add a pair of german blue rams in the long run. I was debating which mid to top level fish to add. Has anyone had any experience with pseudomugil signifer (pacific blue-eye rainbowfish), pseudomugil gertrudae (spotted blue-eye rainbowfish) or white cloud minnows? My water is sligthly acidic due to driftwood. I'm searching for a school of active fish that aren't as shy as neon tetras. Any advice?

I thought about them, but I was thinking of getting something more unusual. I like the look of celestial danios (Danio margaritatus) but they're a bit too small. And hatchet fish seem to like more alkaline water thaat what i have.

How long is the tank in inches? There are two types of 20 gallon tanks, 20 gallon high tanks and 20 gallon long tanks. You can put more fish in the longer ones.

And by the way, :welcome: to the AA forum!

it's the 20 gallon high, so I was trying to add more fish for the top areas since my neon seem to hang in the bottom 1/10th of the tank

bud29 said:
How long is the tank in inches? There are two types of 20 gallon tanks, 20 gallon high tanks and 20 gallon long tanks. You can put more fish in the longer ones.

And by the way, :welcome: to the AA forum!

I've seen 3. A long a normal one and my cousin had a really high one.

Oh! I didn't know there was a third one! Good to know. To be specific, it's the 24 1/4"L x 12 1/2"W x 16 3/4"H one. I thought about getting the long one but I thought the regular one would be better for the plants. Harlequin rasboras sound interesting but i heard they're mostly mid dwellers. There's also multiple types of white cloud minnows, a long fin one, orange one and the golden type.

melketor said:
Oh! I didn't know there was a third one! Good to know. To be specific, it's the 24 1/4"L x 12 1/2"W x 16 3/4"H one. I thought about getting the long one but I thought the regular one would be better for the plants. Harlequin rasboras sound interesting but i heard they're mostly mid dwellers. There's also multiple types of white cloud minnows, a long fin one, orange one and the golden type.

Yeah my cousin has the only really high one I've ever seen. The normal and the longs are pretty common.

has anyone had any experience with any of the other fishes?

I've got long finned white cloud's in tank, but they prefer cooler temps. I had spotted blue-eye rainbowfish before and currently have threadfin rainbow fish. Both IMO are easy to keep. And both do prefer to swim in the upper tank regions and actually so do the long finned white clouds. Marble hatchet fish are smaller then the reg silver ones so they might be another good choice too.

I've got long finned white cloud's in tank, but they prefer cooler temps. I had spotted blue-eye rainbowfish before and currently have threadfin rainbow fish. Both IMO are easy to keep. And both do prefer to swim in the upper tank regions and actually so do the long finned white clouds. Marble hatchet fish are smaller then the reg silver ones so they might be another good choice too.

Ah perfect! thanks! I may just go for one of the rainbow fish. They both look quite unique!

Back
Top Bottom