20 gallon stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JCB1000

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi everyone this is my first post so please excuse me if I don't know all the terms. Anyways I recently got a 20 gallon tanks (high) from Pet Smart and it is cycling now (fishless). So I was wondering if this stocking would work

6 neons
6 Harlequin Rasboras
1 Dwarf Gourami
2 Black Mollies

So let me know if this would work and please leave suggestions because I am not 100% I do consider my self a beginner-intermediate in fish keeping this is my second fish tank (5 gallon tank with a half-moon betta fish any advice would help
-Thank You
:fish2:

Thanks for the input how many cories do you think would be the max 6?

Cory Cats are omnivorous and require a balanced diet. You can feed them anything from bloodworms, sinking pellets, flake food, or pellets. As long as you can get the food to them you can keep a few more. They def do best in larger groups of six or more and you will find when having six or more they will have a better chance of them pairing and reproducing. I would maybe consider starting with 3 or so in a tank your size and see how things go. They also require a soft substrate. Sand would be your best bet, some fine smooth gravel can work.

Being newer to the hobby you should def be careful buying your fish from pet smart. Not every pet smart has bad fish, but a large % of them do not properly take care of there fish. I am not sure if this is where you will be buying your fish, but if so just use a little caution. They connect there tanks into one system witch spreads ick and other parasites to everything in there tanks. Do you have and local fish stores?

How is your tank filtered? Do you have gravel or sand?

I have the penguin 150 and have gravel I wish I had sand but I don't have the money I only have $20.00 so I am going to use that to buy an air pump off of amazon so I am not sure yet if I am going to get cories or not don't they grow like 3" Most of the fish I will get are from a LFS and the rest I will have to go to Pet Smart and I'm not some bum with no money I'm 13 so my income is pretty much my birthday and Christmas :D

Hey that is a great start. Cory's can get bigger, but they grow so slow. Some of my corys have been in my fw tank for over 1 year and have only grown a little bit. You can still get them with gravel just keep and eye on them. Like i said not every pet smart is terrible. You just need to watch them a little. If you notice a lot of dead fish in there tanks or fish with little white spots you should avoid buying them. A sick fish could take out anything you have in your tank, that would be a big set back.

If you would like I would gladly give you an air pump. I have a few whisper pumps sitting around and wouldn't mind helping you out with a pump. Talk with your parents and see if they are okay with it. I will pay the shipping to send it to you just make sure they are okay with you giving someone your address. If they are, make sure to mess it to me and not post it in the forums. Let me know, I would be glad to help you out!

Okay my parents are fine with that thank you so much I will message you thanks again

Cory Cats are omnivorous and require a balanced diet. You can feed them anything from bloodworms, sinking pellets, flake food, or pellets. As long as you can get the food to them you can keep a few more. They def do best in larger groups of six or more and you will find when having six or more they will have a better chance of them pairing and reproducing. I would maybe consider starting with 3 or so in a tank your size and see how things go. They also require a soft substrate. Sand would be your best bet, some fine smooth gravel can work.

Being newer to the hobby you should def be careful buying your fish from pet smart. Not every pet smart has bad fish, but a large % of them do not properly take care of there fish. I am not sure if this is where you will be buying your fish, but if so just use a little caution. They connect there tanks into one system witch spreads ick and other parasites to everything in there tanks. Do you have and local fish stores?

How is your tank filtered? Do you have gravel or sand?

There are smaller species of Cory, but Petsmart typically only carries the common hardy species that are CB.

And FYI Bajeezus, Petsmarts use UV Sterilizers as part of the filtration system to prevent the spread of disease. Now if they've neglected their upkeep and need to replace UV bulbs, then it can be more of an issue.

But it's always buyer beware at ANY store. I do like to give business to LFSs. But in some areas the chain stores are the only option.

There are smaller species of Cory, but Petsmart typically only carries the common hardy species that are CB.

And FYI Bajeezus, Petsmarts use UV Sterilizers as part of the filtration system to prevent the spread of disease. Now if they've neglected their upkeep and need to replace UV bulbs, then it can be more of an issue.

But it's always buyer beware at ANY store. I do like to give business to LFSs. But in some areas the chain stores are the only option.

Petsmart also links all there tanks together. UV only does so much. I use uv on my tanks, but when you let fish rot in your tank, your going to have problems. Like I said not all of them neglect there fish. My local petsmart doesn't maintain the tanks. Get a water sample from your local petsmart and test it. My local petsmart fish are covered in ich. The poster is younger and may not no what to look for. Just giving my opinion on box stores to try and save him from wiping out his tank.

Back
Top Bottom