20 Gallon Stocking HELP NEEDED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ToastyHippie

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey! I recently purchased a 20 gallon and set it up<3 So far, I have an idea for my stock and I'd love if someone could evaluate it

6x Bloodfin Tetra
6x Glowlight Tetra
2x Nerite Snail
1x Male Betta
10x Ghost Shrimp

According to AqAdvisor

I'm at 79% stocking with 139% filtration level

Is this a good setup? Will the two tetras school together IMG_8405.jpg

They might mix but i wouldn't say school together, and yes, I would say that's a good stocking and setup!

They might mix but i wouldn't say school together, and yes, I would say that's a good stocking and setup!

Sweet!!! It's my first time truthfully knowing kinda what I'm doing and I'm so anxious to get my fish! I was mildly nervous about mixing the tetras? But, I'm glad they should mix!

Haha yeah tetras in groups are easy going and very peaceful, as for the stocking order, I would add the beta last just because if hes first he could become territorial and bully them. However if you need to add him in first just rearrange the tank when you add the other fish to slightly confuse him and make him become non territorial when adding. You know about cycling and only adding a few fish at a time so the filter has time to adjust right?

Haha yeah tetras in groups are easy going and very peaceful, as for the stocking order, I would add the beta last just because if hes first he could become territorial and bully them. However if you need to add him in first just rearrange the tank when you add the other fish to slightly confuse him and make him become non territorial when adding. You know about cycling and only adding a few fish at a time so the filter has time to adjust right?

Yeah! I'm wondering if I'll be okay since a lot of the decorations and stuff came from my old tank? I kinda want to add the whole bloodfin school today, maybe glowlights if it wouldn't throw anything off too bad because they're so small, because I don't want to separate a school down too small and stress them out? Would it also help if I fished my old gravel out and did the nylon sock thing?

If the old tank is still running with water yeah I would definitely put it into a nylon sock and use it as filter media, just help and make sure it's cycled. As for getting them, I would go get all 6 today, get a little beneficial bacteria pouch marineland makes and add that just to leave no doubt about water quality, then do a 30ish% water change tomorrow so there aren't any problems, wait a few days and add the other tetras then do a water change the following day, or later in the day depending on when you get them :) I would also add the shrimp before the betta just so he doesn't seem them going to the bottom and try to attack haha

If the old tank is still running with water yeah I would definitely put it into a nylon sock and use it as filter media, just help and make sure it's cycled. As for getting them, I would go get all 6 today, get a little beneficial bacteria pouch marineland makes and add that just to leave no doubt about water quality, then do a 30ish% water change tomorrow so there aren't any problems, wait a few days and add the other tetras then do a water change the following day, or later in the day depending on when you get them :) I would also add the shrimp before the betta just so he doesn't seem them going to the bottom and try to attack haha

Thank you so much!!!! You've been such a big help! Would the shrimp or snails possibly be okay after the tetras? Or should I wait a few weeks before getting them?

Oh yeah they'd be fine with the tetras, tetras are about as peaceful as you can get in groups! I would wait around a week or so before adding the shrimp but snails anytime. Also if it's possible I would try to quarantine the betta for a week or so in a separate tank just because of the terrible conditions most seem to come in :( unless your lfs takes good care of them then I would say just add him in!

Oh yeah they'd be fine with the tetras, tetras are about as peaceful as you can get in groups! I would wait around a week or so before adding the shrimp but snails anytime. Also if it's possible I would try to quarantine the betta for a week or so in a separate tank just because of the terrible conditions most seem to come in :( unless your lfs takes good care of them then I would say just add him in!

Thank you!!!!!

Hey! I recently purchased a 20 gallon and set it up<3 So far, I have an idea for my stock and I'd love if someone could evaluate it

6x Bloodfin Tetra
6x Glowlight Tetra
2x Nerite Snail
1x Male Betta
10x Ghost Shrimp

Sounds like a fine list and a tank you'll enjoy. Just keep an eye on the betta: some are fine with tankmates, others put on a goalie mask and change their name to "Jason." :eek:

Seriously, it can be hit or miss with bettas: I love'em, but you have to keep your eye on them.

Sounds like a fine list and a tank you'll enjoy. Just keep an eye on the betta: some are fine with tankmates, others put on a goalie mask and change their name to "Jason." :eek:

Seriously, it can be hit or miss with bettas: I love'em, but you have to keep your eye on them.

Alright! I know my past one was an ANGEL Tank mate. Never even bothered ghost shrimp. The list has changed just slightly I got five Bloodfin today since it was all they had in stock which made me mildly happy since it meant I didn't have to split up any schools

I don't want to discourage you but betta can create problems in your peaceful community tank. I had bettas in past and they sometimes change behavior after some time. Not only territorial issues but they some times try to attack small fish like neons. Or maybe my bettas were mean lol. Please keep an eye of your bettas behavior. If its good then no problem.

I don't want to discourage you but betta can create problems in your peaceful community tank. I had bettas in past and they sometimes change behavior after some time. Not only territorial issues but they some times try to attack small fish like neons. Or maybe my bettas were mean lol. Please keep an eye of your bettas behavior. If its good then no problem.

Alright!! I'm hoping they are like my last betta, Loki Ballad Betta, and work out? If not, I have a ten gallon I can set up

Alright!! I'm hoping they are like my last betta, Loki Ballad Betta, and work out? If not, I have a ten gallon I can set up
Yes just keep an eye on him and as suggested put in last. I am interested to know if betta won't go after your ghost shrimps. Have you tried shrimps with betta before?

Yes just keep an eye on him and as suggested put in last. I am interested to know if betta won't go after your ghost shrimps. Have you tried shrimps with betta before?

Yeah! We had a tragedy where I lost my betta of four years after the temporary tank I had him in during upgrading him to the 20 yesterday. My father was helping me and his belt loop got stuck on the bar holding the table up and my betta hit the ground along with my two Cory catfish. Loki was an angel. He never chased shrimp, never bothered any other fish. He even used to try schooling with glow fish years ago. He's been with Cory catfish, ghost shrimp, Nerite and mystery snails and everything over the years. He never bothered anyone. Never nipped stalks. Nothing.

Yeah! We had a tragedy where I lost my betta of four years after the temporary tank I had him in during upgrading him to the 20 yesterday. My father was helping me and his belt loop got stuck on the bar holding the table up and my betta hit the ground along with my two Cory catfish. Loki was an angel. He never chased shrimp, never bothered any other fish. He even used to try schooling with glow fish years ago. He's been with Cory catfish, ghost shrimp, Nerite and mystery snails and everything over the years. He never bothered anyone. Never nipped stalks. Nothing.
Sorry to hear about this. 4 years is a long time. I understand you must have been emotional connection with your betta. Sad.

Yes you should try then and keep an eye on behavior of your new betta. Good luck and keep us posted.

Sorry to hear about this. 4 years is a long time. I understand you must have been emotional connection with your betta. Sad.

Yes you should try then and keep an eye on behavior of your new betta. Good luck and keep us posted.

I will! And, I did. He was my first fish. He literally did this thing where he'd come bolting to the front to see me the moment I came into the room. He was close to me as my cat. I think he was the first fish I lost, other than the occasional tragedy due to fish illness coming from the store or an accident, that I cried. Of course, I've come back determined to make this tank PERFECT in his memory. He was with me through my learning process. Bad water. Learning how to test and maintain. Learning how to change up feeding and everything.

On a better note! The bloodfins are doing great! My water is maintaining well enough I think in 3-4 days the next batch of tetras will go easily in! IMG_8436.jpg

I will! And, I did. He was my first fish. He literally did this thing where he'd come bolting to the front to see me the moment I came into the room. He was close to me as my cat. I think he was the first fish I lost, other than the occasional tragedy due to fish illness coming from the store or an accident, that I cried. Of course, I've come back determined to make this tank PERFECT in his memory. He was with me through my learning process. Bad water. Learning how to test and maintain. Learning how to change up feeding and everything.

On a better note! The bloodfins are doing great! My water is maintaining well enough I think in 3-4 days the next batch of tetras will go easily in! View attachment 304396
I hope you will coupe over this tragedy soon. I can understand your feelings. 4 years is a very long time.

Its good your are moving on. Keep your spirits high.

Looking good! Since that looks like a marineland heater thought I'd give some advice, I did a water change recently and I swear the heater wasnt fully submerged for more than 30 seconds I had a watch on, and when I brought my water back from filling the bucket up it was smoking and hissing! So always make sure it's completely submerged or turned off because thatd be really sad if it blew up and killed fish!

Back
Top Bottom