Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2005, 09:33 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

20 Gallon Stocking Question

I have a 20 gallon "normal" tank (not long) which I am slowly stocking. It currently has three dwarf puffers in it (at least one male and one female, the other's being a bit androgynous at the moment).

I would like to add more to this tank. I had thought to add two or three more female puffers, and two or three emerald cory catfish. However, I really don't want to overstock. What is a good balance for this tank?

Thank you in advance for taking the time and trouble to reply!

Old 10-31-2005, 10:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Send a message via MSN to Zagz
I would say you would be ok with the extra puffers, I would think the cory cats would work as well, but have no real experience with puffers and cories.

-----------
Site Administrator
Zagz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 07:22 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Adding?

Well, the question is, how many fish would be okay to add? What's a good balance? Three puffers and three corys? Two puffers, three corys? Two puffers, two corys? I don't want to overpopulate.

Thank you for the reply!
Old 11-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would keep it a puffer tank only. Puffers tend to be nippy and will likely harass the corys. So to answer your question I would probably go with 1m and 3 or 4f puffers. I do not know if you could add a second male without having too many territorial disputes between the 2. You could try to add some ghost shrimp for a clean up crew. If they puffers eat them it was a cheap meal.
penpitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 10:29 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

According to dwarfpuffers.com puffers can be kept with oto's in many cases w/o issues

3 Dwarf Puffers, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 3 Otos

Planted with Java Fern, C. retrospiralis, Java moss, chistmas moss, L. repens, R. rotundifolia, Wisteria, C. wendtii, C. lucen, S. subulata, M. heterophyllum, C. carolina
BlazerFRS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
20 gallon, stocking

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com