20 gallon tall stocking help and advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pleco11771

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi, i am pretty expierienced with goldfish, community fish and goldfish
i am mostly a tropical aquarist but want to stock my 20 gallon with some semi aggresives or something new
In my 20 i have 1 3.5 inch pleco and thats it
i was looking into getting some tiger barbs even though they arent really seimi aggressive and more fin nippers, i really want a center piece fish to go with them and reqlly like rainbow sharks but they get big and aggressive and dont want to take a gamble on getting one so i was interesting in getting a pictus catfish but im not 100% if it would be ok even though ive read that its possible

Welcome to AA!

Is your tank cycled? Do you happen to know about the aqarium nitrogen cycle?

Would your pleco happen to be a common pleco?
If so, I would advise rehoming him, As they can get 18-24 inches and usally need 100+ gallon tanks. If it is one of the dwarf species, Be cautionary when housing with tigers.

As for the rainbow shark, I would say that is a no go. They tend to get really aggressive in cramped spaces, I would recommend a 55 gallon tank or more when housing them.

The same goes for the pictus (Not aggressive though), They need a 55 gallon or more as they can get 8-10 inches long. Some people say the can fit fine In a 30 gallon, but IMO they need 55 gallon tanks.

You could do a school of tiger Barbs and (Only if your pleco is a dwarf species) you could have it also (Be cautionary when housing with tigers. Seperate if needed)

Tyler

Tes it is a common pleco but once he out grows my 20 he will be going into my cousins 120 loach tank
is there anything that could go with the tb's in a 20 like a center peice fish another type of catfish or something

Tiger barbs are somethimes very aggressive to tankmates, as in killing them, sometimes they will even kill there own school mates. Wait for more input.

Leaving the pleco to 'outgrow' the tank could result in stunting its growthe. I would recommend giving it to someone or some LSF as soon as you can.

Tyler

Ok thanks
im going to get a school of tb's and give my pleco to my cousin at about 5 inches
i guess theres no other fish to go with the barbs soo

Is it a 20 gallon High or a 20 gallon long.

You could get away with 6 tigers and 3 corydora catfish in a 20gH or 6-8 Tigers and 6 corys in a 20 gallon long, But Like I said before, Be cautionary when housing tank-mates with tigers and make sure to have a backup plan If any thing goes wrong

Tyler

Its a 20 high so i guess i could just add my 3 albino corys from my 10 gallon since i need some space there for 3 almost full grown molly females
raised from fry

Back
Top Bottom