20 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Manateelover92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is this too much for a 20 gallon?

2 plecos
3 male guppies
2 dalmatian mollies
Female betta
3 bleeding heart tetras
3 silver hatchetfish

Well I have all teh ones in the tank now except for the tetras and hatchetfish. The plecos are nocturnal tho. And they don't bother any of the fish now.

Yes I know that, but they are not common ones, if u look at my profile picture (it's kinda hard to see) I have the 2 outer ones. And when they get bigger i have another tank for that but they are slow growers. So I'm fine with them. And the one in the middle (he is a high fin, i think thats counted as the common one) has gotten to big so I put him in my larger tank.

Well I have all teh ones in the tank now except for the tetras and hatchetfish. The plecos are nocturnal tho. And they don't bother any of the fish now.

Its not so much them bothering other fish, it is the amount of waste thay add to your tank. Is your biological filter sufficient enough to efficiently process all the ammonia produced? Are you able to do enough PWC to keep nitrates down? Those are the first concerns regarding the stocking level of your tank. If you can maintain suffiecient water quality, you can keep the plecos for a time being, but eventually they will have to be moved.

All the levels are fine. We do biweekly water changes. And we have 2 filters. We have one that came with the tank and an aqua clear. However, we did have a nitrite spike once, but that was before the 2nd filter and the two plecos.

If your nitrates are under control, I would not consider you overstocked. I'm pretty liberal when it comes to cramming fish in a small glass box though.

Back
Top Bottom