20 Gallon with musty smell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RonTuskanJr

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We just setup a 20 gallon tank recently, about 4 days after adding the fish the water developed a terrible smell. The water is crystal clear, by the way. We have an undground filter with double pumps.

ANY suggestions, direction or help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Any carbon filtration? This will typically clear up odors. Underground filters are not a complete filtration solution, a penguin bio-wheel is what I usually recommend.

Actually last night I just added a filtration (similiar to a penguin bio-wheel), hopefully it will help out a little.

What is the typical rule of thumb for amount of fish vs. gallons?

No, this is probably the 10th or so tank we've had...

From the age of 5 until I was about 15, we had a 150 gal salt tank...the most stable we've ever had.
The current tank was setup about 5-7 days before adding all the fish, and then they were added in groups. The pleco was the only one in the tank for the duration before all fish were together. I'll try to get a picture of it tonight, and then post it.

On a side note, the water was "cloudy" for a day or two before the smell started. Almost as if you would put a half teaspoon of milk into a 20 gal tank of water. (Hope that makes sense)

Had to see if you were a total newbie, thats why the links above.

On a side note, the water was "cloudy" for a day or two before the smell started. Almost as if you would put a half teaspoon of milk into a 20 gal tank of water. (Hope that makes sense)

Bacterial bloom, is what that sounds like, but its clear now?

Actually last night I just added a filtration (similiar to a penguin bio-wheel), hopefully it will help out a little.

Pack the cartridge with carbon if its the type you can open fairly easy.

Better if we could know your ph, ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, stuff like that.

Fish rule, 1 inch per gallon, but 1 inch of neons doesn't equal 1 inch of oscar, if you get me. How many and what type fish you have?

Yes, the water is very clear now - the best it's been since we set it up.

Here's a rundown of the fish:

4 Zebra Danio
2 Danio (off white in color)
4 Red Wag (2 appear to look simliar to Mickey Mouse)
2 Black Lyretail Molly
1 Marble Molly (the largest fish - probably full grown, appears aggressive)
1 Pleco

I'll get a test done on the water within the next day. Too many fish, I'm guessing...

Well, it definitely was bacterial bloom!!

Thanks to EVERYONE for such quick response and help! I greatly appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom