20 long is finally cycled

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

10Gallon

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's been a month since I started the fishless cycle. I started with some filter media from the 10 gallon. Didn't seem to jump start anything. I ended up buying 3 brands of bacteria in a bottle, including Dr Tim's directly from his site. Didn't speed things up. But last week while doing a WC on the 10G, I took the pre filter sponges from the 10 and squeezed them out in the 20. Done! After that I could put 1-2 drops per gallon of Dr Tim's ammonium chloride and the ammonia would go almost back to 0 in 24 hours. And the nitrates are going up. I add ammonium chloride every day to keep the bacteria fed until I get some fish. Tomorrow is a day off for me so I'm going to do about 75% WC to get nitrates down. Then go to the LFS and hopefully he has 4 Dwarf Neon Rainbows. I'll start with 4 for now. Can't wait to get them! Don't know why it took so long with all the bacteria I added, but it's done and I'm happy.

The LFS only had 3 Dwarf Neon Rainbows, 2 males and 1 female so I got them. He said they should get more in next week, so I'll get more. They're doing well. I check the ammonia and nitrite twice a day and it's good.

Back
Top Bottom