20 long stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maxwellag

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everyone, I have a ten gallon and am going to be upgrading to a twenty long soon.
My current stocking is:
-one male crowntail betta
-one peppered cory
-one bronze cory
-one mickey mouse sunburst platy
-5 guppies (3 male and two female)
I realize this is slightly overstocked. That's why im upgrading. I also realize that there are problems within my stocking. For example, the corys need groups of at least 3 of their own species. Hopefully I will have enough room in the twenty long. I was also hoping to add a pair of dwarf cichlids. I prefer german blue rams. All suggestions, ideas and advice are appreciated. Thank You.

IMO you will need a school of four of each of their own species for them to be comfortable. After that I think you're stocked, cories would take up the majority of the bottom in the 20H so that would rule them out.

bruinsbro1997 said:
IMO you will need a school of four of each of their own species for them to be comfortable. After that I think you're stocked, cories would take up the majority of the bottom in the 20H so that would rule them out.

Its a twenty long. I don't know if that makes much of a difference though. I am pretty mad at my brother for getting that bronze cory and then forcing me to buy him out. So now I am stuck with a need for two groups of four corys... great.

OH whoops! Did not see that :oops: I really need to reread through these posts a lot more before I post on them.

You could try giving away one of the schools, probably bronze, because then you could add more peppered cories and still have a nice GBR. If a pair could work in that tank I'm not sure.

bruinsbro1997 said:
OH whoops! Did not see that :oops: I really need to reread through these posts a lot more before I post on them.

You could try giving away one of the schools, probably bronze, because then you could add more peppered cories and still have a nice GBR. If a pair could work in that tank I'm not sure.

The bronze cory was labeled as a dwarf albino cory at the store. I have had him for six months and he topped out at an inch and a half.

IME albinos (aka bronze) get two-three inches. Granted it takes quite a bit, but I think it should be fine. I guess you could add 4 bronze cories, I am not sure.

I might try to re-home the bronze cory then. Then do you think I will be able go have a pair of GBRs?

If I rehomed the bronze cory could I get a pair of GBRs?

I Just have a Quick question, could you keep 2 GBR in a 20 Long? Im Sure its not ideal, right? I want a pair so bad, and i have 2 spare 20 longs atm.

JesseMessykinn said:
I Just have a Quick question, could you keep 2 GBR in a 20 Long? Im Sure its not ideal, right? I want a pair so bad, and i have 2 spare 20 longs atm.

Definitely. But it would limit your additional stocking options because they get very aggressive when breeding.

Ok, so what other fish do you think I could add? I would like to het a school of some kind of tetra, like neon or glowlight. Or maybe I could get some cockatoo cichlids instead, if I can find them.

In my 20g long I have;

1 Pearl Gourami (Transferred from 90g)
3 Ghost catfish (Still Juveniles)
1 Platy (Not sure what kind, he was in a tank with bigger, uglier platys)
6 Neon Tetras
1 Jumbo Cardinal neon tetra (Only surviving tank cycler)
3 Kuhli Loaches
1 Golden Rabbit Snail
2 Red skunk/1 Red crystal/1 Green/1 Fire/ 1 black bee Shrimp

Just bought the tank, cover and light. :)
I got a glass cover and the Aqueon T5 Dual Fluorescent Fixture. I will get a colormax bulb later on but right now I just have two daylight tubes but later I'll get a colormax bulb...I plan on heavily planting, that's why I got the T5

I was at the store today for a few things and they had a new shipment of fish. So I checked the sales out, and picked up 3 Beckfords Pencils and 1 Scarlet Badis Badis. Also picked up a small corner sponge filter/bubbler for up to 9 gallons.

Koikid88 said:
I was at the store today for a few things and they had a new shipment of fish. So I checked the sales out, and picked up 3 Beckfords Pencils and 1 Scarlet Badis Badis. Also picked up a small corner sponge filter/bubbler for up to 9 gallons.

Cool! :) I am just upgrading from my ten so I am moving over my Fluval 206

Just bought the tank, cover and light. :)
I got a glass cover and the Aqueon T5 Dual Fluorescent Fixture. I will get a colormax bulb later on but right now I just have two daylight tubes but later I'll get a colormax bulb...I plan on heavily planting, that's why I got the T5

I think that they call them colormax and "growmax" for a good reason. I would try and stick with the daylight bulbs and skip the colormax if you want full PAR potential.

Back
Top Bottom