20 long stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MattS99

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, my 20 long is in a weird place. I have 4 Colombian tetras (definitely adding more) and 3 glowlight tetras (I'd love to rehome them but can't so they will be staying here until they die out, will not replace). I was going to add American flagfish due to my hair algae issues, but have not been able to find them for MONTHS in any of my LFS. Just looking for ideas, I suppose. My temp floats between 74-76. The only idea I'll be saying no to is any kind of cories/plecos/loaches, just not my style. I'd love to have another fish with a HUGE personality like my old GBR but my water is obviously way too cold for one.

Perfect temps for a Bolivian Ram

All your current fish can be kept at 80 degrees so I don't know why you couldn't do a German Blue Ram. In fact, both of your tetra species should be kept at 77-78 degrees

Perfect temps for a Bolivian Ram

All your current fish can be kept at 80 degrees so I don't know why you couldn't do a German Blue Ram. In fact, both of your tetra species should be kept at 77-78 degrees
I'm trying very hard to phase out the glowlights. Looking for a rehome if I can. I want this tank to be two species, my Colombians and whatever else I get. And Colombians are fine anywhere between 70-80. I'm not normally one to argue over temps, but I've had these guys for over 4 years now (we hit 4 years in September) so I feel very confident that they like it at my temp. If I can magically find flagfish, I'll be getting them. But after some research, my other options are: Rainbow cichlid (STRONG favorite), keyholes, male krib, Bolivians, and a few different apistos.

Just saying.....your current fish could handle temps required for GBR if you wanted to get them again.

I think your ideas would work. Just a matter of making a decision [emoji4].

I'll add firemouth cichlid. Very calm fish and always greets you.

GBR is kinda like been there, done that for me now. Besides, Melvin was a special little dude I'd feel like it was trying to replace him.

I'm totally red/green colorblind so I think the appeal of a firemouth is kinda lost on me, lol. I think the favorites are the flags or a rainbow. Kribs and keyholes as backup. Should be exciting, I legitimately don't know what I'll be doing yet.

Ahh gotcha. Lol

Rainbows are cool fish. It would go good with flagfish. Sounds like you may have to order the flagfish online.

What I've gathered from research today: Rainbows need a 36" tank minimum, so sadly they are out of the running. Keyholes are looking better and better. Kribs are kind of iffy for me.

I'd disagree on that from personal experience. I've seen them kept for years in a 29g at full size which has the same foot print as a 20g. They are a 6 inch fish.

Well, I'm not too disappointed over the rainbows anymore, because I've done a complete 180. After doing some research and talking to some friends and I'm set on a pair of keyholes, lol.

Random update: Got 2 keyholes today! They're just about 2 inches, too young to sex.

Back
Top Bottom