20g Communitiy Tank Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Razi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm cycling my new 20g tank right now, it should be ready in a week or so. I'm having trouble deciding what I want as centerpiece fish(es). I'm torn between a pair of dwarf guorami, rams (2), or possibly a Betta.

I like colour and movement and am looking for an active tank community.

What I had as other stock ideas was this:
1 Clown Pleco
6 guppies
6 neon tetras
snails
and then whatever I choose as a centerpiece fish.

This is the tank I have Top Fin 20 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit | Aquariums | PetSmart

I'll be adding some more decorations and live plants to my tank this week to provide more hiding places for the fish to keep everyone happy.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. I haven't had a tank in years, so am very rusty, haha!
http://www.petsmart.ca/fish/aquariu...d36-17601/cat-36-catid-300013?var_id=36-17601

I'm cycling my new 20g tank right now, it should be ready in a week or so. I'm having trouble deciding what I want as centerpiece fish(es). I'm torn between a pair of dwarf guorami, rams (2), or possibly a Betta.

I like colour and movement and am looking for an active tank community.

What I had as other stock ideas was this:
1 Clown Pleco
6 guppies
6 neon tetras
snails
and then whatever I choose as a centerpiece fish.

This is the tank I have Top Fin 20 Gallon Aquarium Starter Kit | Aquariums | PetSmart

I'll be adding some more decorations and live plants to my tank this week to provide more hiding places for the fish to keep everyone happy.

Any advice or help is greatly appreciated. I haven't had a tank in years, so am very rusty, haha!
http://www.petsmart.ca/fish/aquariu...d36-17601/cat-36-catid-300013?var_id=36-17601

Is your 20g a high or a long tank ?

IMHO a 20L might be enough room for a pair of Rams but you'd need to plan the stock around them and their requirements. They need pristine stable tanks so they'd be added last. They prefer warmer water than most fish. Neons should not be in a Ram tank. They prefer 76°f, Rams like 82°f I believe.

Finding a female Dwarf Gourami can be impossible depending on your sources. They are plain silver and almost never imported. Plus Gouramis often fight, even pairs may fight.

Betta temperament varies widely, some fish harass the Betta.

You don't need a "centerpiece" this is a bit of nature not a dining table. JMHO [emoji6]

Pick a favorite appropriate species. Build tank and stock around that species.

I love Neons esp in larger groups. Another underrated relative are Glowlight Tetras. A group of Glowlights ( not Glo Fish ) on black sand with black background and lots of plants looks awesome ! And I find them hardier fish.

Harlequin Rasboras are great when they color up, I have had great luck with them.

If you do live plants it opens up options.
Threadfin Rainbows are super entertaining. Tiny mouths tho. Need peaceful tank mates.
da325b3f49797693f3e8055d987b01fb.jpg
05efe1b583c88a494322b4effa7459f5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
According to the link the OP gave, it's a 20 gallon high.
I would do a dwarf gourami as the centerpiece. Rams need warmer water than neon tetras, and bettas also do, but it's also not a good idea to have bettas in community tanks.

Honey Gourami are more peaceful alternatives to Dwarf Gourami. They could be an option.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

As Coursair mentioned, Betta temperaments vary, but I personally have had a couple bettas in community tanks (not at the same time, obviously.) Usually I have to worry about them getting beat up, not the other way around!

That being said, they do react to fish that look like themselves (other bettas, gouramis, long finned colorfast like guppies) so combining one with a half dozen guppies might be pushing your luck.

Dwarf gourami temperaments vary a lot too. I got one as a centerpiece fish and he is the scardy cat of the tank!

Just a heads up regarding the Clown Pleco. From my own experience as well as reading online, they are very reclusive. I rarely ever see mine save the occasional time he pokes his big head out the door of my little "Loach Motel" castle.

Back
Top Bottom