20g L setup...hardware/stocking suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Todd2

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have a 20g L glass aquarium which I bought used and had to reseal. I also got a Whisper 2 filter (thats what it says on the filter) its rated for a 40g aquarium. A 100W acura heater, a hood, and 2 air pumps. I have some questions on stocking and hardware.

Should I keep the Whisper filter for the 20g or buy an AC 150 and use the whisper for the qt. Or get a sponge filter for the qt. Same goes with heater, buy a new one and use that for 20g or use the used one for it. How big should the qt tank be? 10 or 5 gallons? Do I need a light for the qt?

As far as stocking goes I want to do a South american bio-tope, but I'm open to other suggestions. I want to have 2 bolivian or german blue rams. I've read that bolivians are hardier and more active but the blue rams have beautiful colors. Help me decide on this. I'd like to have 6 cardinal tetras. I've read these are difficult but I like their colors. I could also do neons but don't they like the water cooler, ~76 F and rams like ~80 F. And 1 oto for algae duty because it's going to be a planted tank. Is this too big a bio load? I'm going with a sand substrate. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

Back
Top Bottom