20g stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VioletEmber

Aquarium Advice Freak
K- a 20g planted tank (plants are new and not filled out yet). Established cycled tank-- currently running two filters so lots of filtering is going on.

Current residents are:

3 tiger endler's
5 glowlight tetras
1 surviving neon from an ich outbreak in another tank.
1 spotted cory
2 female guppies

So my plan is to move the female guppies out. I have two otos in a diff tank and plan on moving them in and adding a third.

I'd like to get some friends for my cory. And a dwarf gourami. And some ghost or cherry shrimp.

So if it looks like this would it be over stocked on bottom feeders? And should I rehome the lone neon tetra or is he ok hanging with the glowlights?

1 dwarf gourami
3 oto
3 Cory
6 tetra
3 endler's

Thoughts? I'm unclear on how many gourami one can have in a 20. One single male or one male and female? I am assuming 1 male and 2 females would be too much. ( and maybe not a good combo anyway- I'm still learning about them!)

pretty sure you just want the one gourami

not sure about the rest - still learning, but I do know that one gourami in a 20gallon is all you want

Dwarfs are usually alright in pairs, but females are often hard to find.
I'd add 5-6 more neons (or rehome the single), add 3 more spotted Cory's, and reconsider the shrimp. The gourami would eat cherry shrimp, and ghost shrimp aren't going to compete well with the Cory's at feeding time.
Oto's do best in larger, well-established heavily planted tanks. Make sure they get veggies a couple times weekly to supplement their diet, that tank won't grow enough algae to support them.

i dont agree with heater, no offense

a gourami would stock a 20G at 10%, so not a lot..........;)_

that stocking should work, the lone neon tetra should be fine(i have seen them both school), but if not, then rehome it;)

+1^ for otos, add them last once there is a bit of algae in the tank......

only do shrimp if its heavily planted or its a $$$ snack for your gourami:)

Ya get 4 more corys. And gourami sometimes dont work out in pairs. I would go with one. Ottos love cucumbers.

Yay! Thanks everyone! Yeah, I'll wait until the plants fill in more to add the otos-- and I won't do the shrimp. I'll just shrimp out my other tanks -- shrimp my tank! Ha.

I think I'll just do the one male gourami, definitely haven't seen any females around here and I wouldn't have anyplace to put her if he bothers her.

The neon I'll just observe - he seems happy for now. He is a tough one to have survived a nasty ich outbreak -- my "learning experience" on why to have a QT tank.

I think I'm going to be very happy with this tank!

If you get schooling fish like the neon tetra make sure you get an odd number!!!!

Yeah, I won't be getting any more neons - I would just rehome the one I have if he seems unhappy. The glowlights are so mellow and chubby. They just bob around near the bottom having mellow fishy conversations like " why did she move that plant again? It was fine the way it was" and " flakes again. That's ok."

Back
Top Bottom