20g? Too small for goldfish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hulkamaniac

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've wanted to keep goldfish for a while. Especially since I've heard of their ability to clean up duckweed like a vacuum cleaner. I have a 20g tank that's basically empty. The fish that are in there can easily be moved to one of my other 5 tanks with no problems. Can I keep one goldfish in the 20g or is that tank too small for a single goldfish? If not, what kind of goldfish is best for that sized tank. Obviously, comets are out of the question.

I'm not that familiar with goldfish, but I do know the Comets are the most voracious eaters. Do you have too much Duckweed? If the tank is empty, just drain the tank?

theotheragentm said:
I'm not that familiar with goldfish, but I do know the Comets are the most voracious eaters. Do you have too much Duckweed? If the tank is empty, just drain the tank?

I have way too much duckweed in 3 of my tanks and it's taking over a 4th. I don't really have the option of draining all the tanks. Then I'd have to deal with how to get all the duckweed out of the tank. I'm looking for an easier way to deal with it.

Are you using the fish to clean out the tanks, but then permanently house them in the 20G?

I think you could have 2 fancy goldfish in a 20 gal. I have 4 in a 40 gal. I would suggest that you have good filtration and keep up with the water changes. You wouldn't believe how messy they gan get.

the rule for goldies is 20g for the first fish, and 10 gallons for every fish afterwards (ex. 3 goldies would need 40 gal)

it is unbelievable how much of a mess they can make. goldfish are omnivores, and need more than duckweed to live on

hc8719 said:
the rule for goldies is 20g for the first fish, and 10 gallons for every fish afterwards (ex. 3 goldies would need 40 gal)

it is unbelievable how much of a mess they can make. goldfish are omnivores, and need more than duckweed to live on

I don't intend to just feed them duckweed. I tend to basically use them as a lawnmower to get rid of the stuff out of my aquariums. Once thats done I intend to treat them like any other of my fish. They'll get the same varied diet everyone else gets and a weekly water change to boot.

if you want a lawn mower, fancy's are NOT the right fish. the feeders and the comets are the real vaccuums. fancies also lack the gaping mouthes other goldies have.

dont get them

Fancies are not that great at getting rid of plants (mine will only eat veggies cooked!).

Comets won't fit in a 20, although you can keep a couple juvies for maybe a year or 2 in there, as long as you have a pond where they can be relocated when they start getting big. You can try smaller single tails like shubunkins, although they will get too big for a 20 eventually.

I suppose you can get a couple small feeders to put in your tank, then return them after a month or 2 before they get too big to be feeders. This is not something I would do .... feeders being full of disease living in overcrowed conditions at the lfs .... not to mention the ethical questions of using feeders.

I'm at the point where I'm tired of dealing with the duckweed. I keep skimming it out and it keeps popping back up because I inevitably wind up missing a few pieces. The goldfish would fix the duckweed problem and give me an excuse to buy more fish. :)

jsoong said:
I suppose you can get a couple small feeders to put in your tank, then return them after a month or 2 before they get too big to be feeders.

uh-huh? diseases aside, isn't it morally wrong to buy fish, give them clean, uncrowed tanks, and appropiate food servings, and then dump them back at the pet store to a crowed, malnurished, diry tank?

i don't think many people, especially people who appreciate fish could not get attached to these fish to the point where you'd feel guilty giving them the feeder tank death sentence

theotheragentm said:
I've read that Cichlids will eat duckweed too.

My LFS told me that. The Jack Dempsey I have doesn't. If he does he doesn't eat nearly enough to make a difference.

From what I understand, the basic stocking rule for gold fish is 2 gal. of water for every inch of fish.

I don't think a 20 gal. is too small unless you're getting something like Kois which are pond fish.

Elmware2000 said:
From what I understand, the basic stocking rule for gold fish is 2 gal. of water for every inch of fish.

I don't think a 20 gal. is too small unless you're getting something like Kois which are pond fish.

Goldfish are special, because of the way they produce bioload. They are a messy fish. Plus they get pretty large. If you have smaller fish, you can go with 1" per gallon. Larger fish bioload is higher per inch of fish than with smaller ones.

I agree, Goldfish are SO messy. I have to do water changes twice a week just to keep the tank looking ok.

Elmware2000 said:

Most people here frown upon the "Gallon per Inch" rule as the most terrible idea in the aquarium hobby. Even in your description, 2 gallons per inch, is only 10 gallons for a 5" fish.

BTW common goldfish are actually duller and less glorified koi, and deserve nothing short of a massive tank or pond

Back
Top Bottom