20gal stocking suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a 20 gal tank, currently home to 1 flame dwarf gourami and 1 oto cat. I've lost 3 otos and another gourami in the last two months so I'm going to wait a while to make sure things are going okay, but wanted ideas of what to put in there next. I'd like to get more otos but not sure what else.

What fish might be best in this sized tank? I know water changes will always be necessary (for me, every 6-8 days) but what fish are a little less sensitive?

Dwarf gourami are fairly sensitive, in my experience, especially right now with so many coming into the US with Dwarf Gourami Disease. Good luck with your remaining gourami.

You have many, many options for other fish. For personality you could try a male/female pair of Bolivian Rams. I would try to add more otocinclus, they are a shoaling species and prefer to be in groups.

Thanks. I'd love to have a pair of rams and thought seriously about it but but 20 gal seems too small for them and I currently have no intention (or space) to upgrade. I know the oto needs a few more friends but having lost several in the last month, I wanted to see how this little guy fared but no problems thus far (about 2 weeks since the last death). Also, I'm having some eating problems with my remaining gourami so will likely get him another friend to see if that helps.

How does the following sound:

2 flame dwarf (both male)
2 bolivian rams (1 male, 1 female)
4-6 oto cats

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated! I don't want to put so much in this little tank that no one is happy.

Also, do you think there would be any room for another cat to eat some of the leftovers on the bottom? I don't think the otos go for that stuff (at least mine never seemed to). Can anybody recommend one?

Again, thanks!

cory cats are pretty cool. bristlenose or clown plecos are cool too and they dont get all that big either. Id say you would be fine with that selection, id just watch for aggression around breeding time.

I purchased 4 more otos and 1 more gourami last night. The otos were quite active this morning but the poor gourami is getting pestered quite a bit by the gourami I've had for a while! Sadly, the one I bought appeared to have already been abused quite a bit (missing half his tail) but I'm a sucker and thought I could help him :sad:

May have to consider a cory (or several) to help clean up what the gourami ignore.

Still seems like a lot of fish for 20 gal. . .but then I don't know much.

Back
Top Bottom