23 gallon stocking advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

StellaStars

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello!

I've read the threads, I've tried combinations on Aqadvisor, and I've talked to the folks at the lfs, but I'd love to solicit your opinions.

I have a new 23G tank - it's a Fluval Vista. It came with an AquaClear 30 and that's what I've got running on it, though I'm open to getting different filtration if necessary.

I'm currently doing a fish-in cycle (including seeded media and bottled bb) with four diamond tetras and 25% water changes every other day. So far, so good.

I'm not in a rush to stock, but I do want to have a solid plan in mind.

Because I have the diamond tetras in already, I'm committed to completing that school, though the number could be flexible.

I already have a bn pleco in a smaller tank who needs and upgrade, so he's a sure thing too.

I have soft water, low pH, and it's a planted tank.

Here are my thoughts:

1 bn pleco
8 diamond tetras
10 cardinal tetras

Shrimp? Maybe 10 amano - I'm leaning towards the idea of bigger and hardier for this tank. I also love the look of the giant blue wood shrimp, but I don't know much about them.

Bottom feeders? Considering kuhli loaches or panda corries - maybe 5 of one or the other. Possibly even a second pleco - I do love the longfin albinos. (Leaning towards the panda corries.)

I fear this might be pushing overstocked, so I plan to stock slowly and keep a close eye on water conditions.

I want to narrow down my priority list so that I add in the order of preference in case something can't fit.

Does this seem reasonable? Thoughts, comments, substitutions?

Thank you!

My suggestions-and keep in mind that I over-filter and over-stock-would be to up to up the diamonds a bit, get a group of kuhlis (my favorite fish!!!!), and then add a trio of sparkling gouramis, cherry barbs, or peacock gudgeons.

My suggestions-and keep in mind that I over-filter and over-stock-would be to up to up the diamonds a bit, get a group of kuhlis (my favorite fish!!!!), and then add a trio of sparkling gouramis, cherry barbs, or peacock gudgeons.

Thank you! I'd considered the idea of a centerpiece fish of some kind but had mostly given up on the idea due to size and compatibility issues. I hadn't considered a trio of smaller fish as a centerpiece, but that's a great idea - and I've had my eye on peacock gudgeons for a while.

Are you suggesting to do those in addition to the diamonds and cardinals and loaches, or are you suggesting the trio replace the cardinals?

Sorry, it's late...I would up the diamonds, pass on the cards, add the kuhlis, and a trio of peacocks.

I would do the Cardinals, about 12-15 of them, some Cories, and a smaller centerpiece fish. An Angel or a Sparkling/Opaline gourami would work. You could also do a pair of Rams or a smaller Apisto instead of a centerpiece, or a group of 4-5 dwarf Gouramis. The BN Pleco should be alright.

I would personally do:

1x Sparkling Gourami
14x Cardinal Tetra
8x Panda Cories
1x BN Pleco.

This would be a very active and colorful tank that isn't super high maintenance. Some live background plants with black sand and a driftwood centerpiece and that would be an excellent tank.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Totally open to the idea of replacing the cardinals. Out of curiosity, for the folks suggesting it, is it just because you think another option is more visually interesting, or is there some other reason not to do cardinals?

When I plug the peacocks into Aqadvisor it pops up a warning that they will get aggressive with the diamond when breeding. Do you think this is a valid concern?

I tried plugging in three honey gourami instead and it didn't give a warning. Do you think that would also be a valid option?

Thanks!

I wouldn't see a problem between the gudgeons and tetras, but I do see a possible issue between the 3 gourami in a tank that size.

As much as it's recommended, I personally hate aquaadvisor, it needs a lot more work to be completely accurate and updates to stay that way. Any fish that participates in brood care is going to be defensive when spawning, but it doesn't mean they're aggressive.
Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Totally open to the idea of replacing the cardinals. Out of curiosity, for the folks suggesting it, is it just because you think another option is more visually interesting, or is there some other reason not to do cardinals?

When I plug the peacocks into Aqadvisor it pops up a warning that they will get aggressive with the diamond when breeding. Do you think this is a valid concern?

I tried plugging in three honey gourami instead and it didn't give a warning. Do you think that would also be a valid option?

Thanks!

Definitely not against cardinals, I just personally prefer 1 large group over 2 smaller. No reason why they wouldn't work. I actually just got green neon tetras for the first time, gorgeous color.

I don't have experience with honey gouramis, sorry.

Now that I'm looking into pairs and trios of smaller fish in place of a second school or centerpiece fish my mind is wandering to all kinds of possibilities.

What about a pair of killifish? Just saw some gold australe / lyretail that were lovely.

Now that I'm looking into pairs and trios of smaller fish in place of a second school or centerpiece fish my mind is wandering to all kinds of possibilities.

What about a pair of killifish? Just saw some gold australe / lyretail that were lovely.

Killies are gorgeous! I had an australe pair: the female went after the male, dwarf amber barbs, and shrimp. Relentlessly :( I may have just had an odd fish because I had read that they could be kept with other fish.

Someone else on the forum-sorry, can't remember who-posted a few times about keeping gardneri in a community tank unsuccessfully.

If it didn't work out would you have a back up plan/tank? Lots of killie breeders actually keep them in small, unfiltered containers.

One important thing to remember is that they are jumpers!

Keep us posted, I'm very interested in what you decide to get!

Killies are gorgeous! I had an australe pair: the female went after the male, dwarf amber barbs, and shrimp. Relentlessly :( I may have just had an odd fish because I had read that they could be kept with other fish.

Someone else on the forum-sorry, can't remember who-posted a few times about keeping gardneri in a community tank unsuccessfully.

If it didn't work out would you have a back up plan/tank? Lots of killie breeders actually keep them in small, unfiltered containers.

One important thing to remember is that they are jumpers!

Keep us posted, I'm very interested in what you decide to get!

My only back up plan would be a return to the store or getting another tank. (Clearly every inch of this house will be covered in tanks eventually.)

I had posted another thread about lonely centerpiece fish, as I was considering a pearl gourami to go with the diamonds.

I've got plenty of time to research and solicit opinions while I cycle the tank, finish the aquascaping, and build up the diamond school.

One of the diamonds is being a bully and even fin nipping a bit, so I hope I can get their numbers up soon, and set up more hiding places.

Just my thoughts. Personally I agree that a larger school of one species is more dramatic and probably more comfortable for schooling fish too. On the gourami , I wouldn't put more than one dwarf gourami in there, they can be aggressive and especially will fight with each other. A pearl gourami gets 4-5 inches, too large for a 20. Honey gourami would be nice for your tank, they are smaller, more peaceful fish. They do well in a harem situation, with one male only and a few females. They like floating plants as cover and the male will build bubble nests in them.

Recently I had a species tank, a 29 gallon with 7 honey gourami in it. One male and 6 females. That was all that was in the tank and I really enjoyed that tank. The fish interacted and we're all over the tank. I'm not suggesting that for you, just thought it might be if interest. Good luck and enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Recently I had a species tank, a 29 gallon with 7 honey gourami in it. One male and 6 females. That was all that was in the tank and I really enjoyed that tank. The fish interacted and we're all over the tank. I'm not suggesting that for you, just thought it might be if interest. Good luck and enjoy!

That sounds nice! In recent years I've moved towards species tanks over community; again, a personal preference thing.

That sounds nice! In recent years I've moved towards species tanks over community; again, a personal preference thing.

It's interesting to see how those preferences evolve.

As I'm trying to navigate a mix of personalities I can certainly see the appeal of avoiding that with a species tank.

I was talking to someone at The Wet Spot about tanks a while ago, when I was considering a big one, and they were saying that in their home they have multiple smaller tanks for that very reason - lots of different species tanks rather than one big community.

You could try out frogs. Such as the ADF (African Dwarf Frog) or ACF (African Clawed Frog). If you want fish you could try a puffer which eat snails.

Added a bunch more wood and plants today - still fiddling with the scape, but it's improving.

d72618f6e5c119b98ea24c8d3acd6944.jpg

I needed to make more hiding places for the diamond tetras. One of them is a bully and there was a bit of fin nipping going on. I hope I can add to their school soon. Nitrates are starting to appear, so that's good news.

Back
Top Bottom