Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

25 gallon setup what to do!?

I'm picking up a 25 gallon tank for 80 bucks off of kijiji for my father in law who is recovering from 3rd degree burns from a bonfire explosion. He loves my fish tank and this is my gift to him. I am thinking of doing sand or gravel, with some fake plants and other decor. I'm really reaching out for ideas here as my mind is all over the place. I'm gonna have corys for sure, I want something colorful, but something easy to maintain for him when I'm unavailable since he's gonna be dependent on me for maintenance and travel. Thanks in advance for all ideas.

Old 03-28-2012, 12:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

That's very nice if you!

I'm thinking tranquil. Slower moving fish, nothing fast/zippy like danios. Nice large bits of wood, sand, dark background, anubias tied to the wood (not plastic but still low maintenance), fish like neons and rummies in large schools swimming through the plants.

Mumma.of.two is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I was thinking rummy's, cardinals, Pygmy cories. And a centerpiece. What should I do as a centerpiece? Gourami? Angel? I've never done live plants as I'm waiting for my lfs to harvest their java moss and I'm waiting for my frogbit to arrive. I'm thinking maybe some duckweed also.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:50 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry about his accident.
I actually think i could help with this. If you want a low maintenance tank then here are some ideas. Get the sand and cories then pick a nice mid to top level swimmer (Im not sure what he is interested in but neons, platies, glofish, or a few other tetras would be great for this setup). Dont overstock but dont understock to severely either. Put some pothos vine roots in the tank with the leaves hanging out and if you dont mind floating plants then duckweed or (Ive heard water lettuce). The plants will suck up nutrients and the fish will provide them. You can go for weeks (if done really really well months) without water changes this way. All he would have to do is feed and top off!
Old 03-28-2012, 12:57 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

^^^ yes floating plants will help out heaps especially if you can't get there to change the water all the time.
Depending on the light you could have java ferns and swords. All you'd have to do is stick some root tabs under the swords every couple of months.

Tank might be a bit small for an angel. A smaller gourami would work.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Rummynoses, corys, Praecox or cardinals, driftwood, duckweed, sand, night time motif background, java moss, and maybe a red flame DG( if that exists ) I'll google it lol
Old 03-28-2012, 01:46 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronos313
Rummynoses, corys, Praecox or cardinals, driftwood, duckweed, sand, night time motif background, java moss, and maybe a red flame DG( if that exists ) I'll google it lol
Praecox rainbows? Might be a bit active for a 25g.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:54 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

True that, I'm just thinking of what stock my lfs has, that ain't nippy. What else can go in a 25 gal?
Old 03-28-2012, 02:24 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Obsessed

What about embers or lemon tetras? Cherry barbs? CPD?
Old 03-28-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

You should get a colored bubble maker (red) and/or red gravel to represent fire. Just a laugh; sorry about the accident.

Tags
25 gallon, 5 gallon, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com