Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-07-2013, 02:15 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

25 gallon tank

Hello! I currently have a 10 gallon tank, almost fully stocked. As much as I love my new tank, I itching to upgrade to a larger tank soon. I have been looking at a very nice (IMO) 25 gallon tank, and I have a few questions for future reference.

Aqueon » Premium Aquarium Kit 25 | Products

I really like this tank, because of the nice design and the t5 lighting it comes with.

Anyway, what light level would I have? (i.e, low, low-moderate, high, etc.)

What stocking options would I have? (I like platies, mollies, swordtails, rasboras, and cory cats).

Would I be better off getting a 29 or 30 gallon? (I really like this tank, though).

Thank you!

Old 07-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I have this tank. Light is crappy for anything but real low light plants. I got bored with them really quickly so I got some CFL's to get about 60 watts of light.

I also tossed the filter and switched it out for an AC 50. The flow was bad, the suction was bad, and it died after a few months.

The tank is tall which is difficult for me since I am short, and since it doesn't have a lot of depth it makes it a little tricky for aquascaping if you are into that.

I honestly wish they just sold the plain tank with the glass lid so I could buy the lights, filter, heater, etc

For stocking, I would do 3-4 male platy's, 6 cory cats, 1 Sword tail, and maybe 8 Harlequin Rasboras or 10 Neon Tetras.

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:39 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
I have this tank. Light is crappy for anything but real low light plants. I got bored with them really quickly so I got some CFL's to get about 60 watts of light.

I also tossed the filter and switched it out for an AC 50. The flow was bad, the suction was bad, and it died after a few months.

The tank is tall which is difficult for me since I am short, and since it doesn't have a lot of depth it makes it a little tricky for aquascaping if you are into that.

I honestly wish they just sold the plain tank with the glass lid so I could buy the lights, filter, heater, etc

For stocking, I would do 3-4 male platy's, 6 cory cats, 1 Sword tail, and maybe 8 Harlequin Rasboras or 10 Neon Tetras.
Thank you!

Are there any other tanks around that size that you would recommend?
Old 07-07-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

20 Gallon longs are a good size, but not much of an upgrade from a ten gallon. Depending on space, I think a 40 breeder would be great. Awesome foot print.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

30 gal breeder is a nice size too if 40 gal too much.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I've noticed those are a little less common, though.

Old 07-07-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
20 Gallon longs are a good size, but not much of an upgrade from a ten gallon. Depending on space, I think a 40 breeder would be great. Awesome foot print.
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodan View Post
30 gal breeder is a nice size too if 40 gal too much.
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant do you know of any other good brands that have a tank about that size.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

I like my 29, it's a little on the boxy side, so it's kind of like watching tv. Not too good for partial air breathers however because its tall, and more active top swimmers tend to like a more horizontal length than I have.
Old 07-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Platiesareawesome View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear. I meant do you know of any other good brands that have a tank about that size.
Most of the 'kit' tanks will have less quality equipment, so you are better off piecing it out.

Old 07-07-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I've noticed those are a little less common, though.
Just stating it as a good option.
Old 07-07-2013, 03:43 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

Okay thanks!

Tags
gallon, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com