250gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leesanhua

Aquarium Advice Freak
this question is for my friend.
he has 250gal freahwater tank. it's been running for 3 months.
now, what makes the tank's water so so so green?
ammo= 0.25 nitrite=0 nitrate=0
2 bottom feeder, 2 gaourami and 2 silver dollar living in it.

how can he get rid of the green water?

first off...has he ever done a water change? ya, it sounds like a stupid question, but if you dont, then i suppose it could do that.
also, are there any pieces of driftwood/bogwood/wood of any kind in the tank? if so, that's most likely the case, except with that, it would be more of a tea color...(which looks somewhat green to me...)

to get rid of it, try running carbon in the filter...iv'e had great success with it...especially with my driftwood.

How old is the tank? Shouldn't be showing any ammonia. I assume it is brand new since it is showing no nitrates. Is it planted, how much light is it getting? The available ammonia is probably fueling the algae bloom in the water. Any natural sunlight? Best way to get rid of green water is through a blackout. How bad is it? Slightly green or does it look like soup?

Also decrease the amount of food that is fed to the fish. Do deep gravel vacs at each water change and keep the lights to a minimum.

The tank is 250 gals and he has only got 6 fish? With that small a bio load for that tank, it won't cycle IMO. Have him do all of the above suggestions and he will need to increase the bioload some to get the tank to cycle. He will also have to keep doing necessary water changes to keep the ammonia low.

Back
Top Bottom