26 gallon bowfront - how would you stock it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missriss126

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am getting a 26 gallon bowfront from a coworker soon and would love to know how you guys would stock it! It will be fully cycled, he has had he tank up and running for about 2 years. It has some rock, driftwood, and plants.

I'm currently cycling a 20 gallon long that I plan to stick with GBR, Rummynose tetras, and cory cats. I would like this tank to have a different "feel" than the other one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the exact aquarium. Made it into a plant tank but still with room to move. Then I began with putting a few pairs of very colorful rainbows. This week I added a couple of colorful rams for the bottom and the tank which is shared with a small pristlnose. Of all my aquariums this is fantastic. In a few months I will move these into a 75 gallon tank.

Ocean400

I like the idea of some rainbows! Here is a picture my coworker took just now. Looks like he already had a great set up going! I just want to add more plants.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388792573.807452.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388792588.290672.jpg

I see a pretty Betta in there :) Do you know if there is any other fish in there?

I spy that Betta too! I'm not all sure what is left in the tank. I know at one point he had some badis badis, albino bristlenose pleco, guppies, peacock gudgeons, kuhli loaches... He is very indecisive so he was always changing it. I guess as we break it down we will see what is in there!

I spy that Betta too! I'm not all sure what is left in the tank. I know at one point he had some badis badis, albino bristlenose pleco, guppies, peacock gudgeons, kuhli loaches... He is very indecisive so he was always changing it. I guess as we break it down we will see what is in there! Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was wondering the same thing. I would stock slowly in case the nitrifying bacteria needs to recolonize. I love rainbows and rams together, but larger rainbows won't fit in such a narrow tank. Furcatas and signifiers would look nice, though. You could also do a tiger barb species only tank if variety isn't your thing. Lots of color morphs available.

I like tiger barbs, but this is going to be mainly my boyfriend's tank as far as what he chooses to go into it and he is buying everything for it. He just doesn't want to put the time in to learn everything, whereas I love asking questions and learning as much as possible!

If we wanted to keep the Betta, what would be some good tank mates for a male betta? I know my boyfriend has a thing for fancy male guppies too.

I like tiger barbs, but this is going to be mainly my boyfriend's tank as far as what he chooses to go into it and he is buying everything for it. He just doesn't want to put the time in to learn everything, whereas I love asking questions and learning as much as possible! If we wanted to keep the Betta, what would be some good tank mates for a male betta? I know my boyfriend has a thing for fancy male guppies too. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Neon tetras are an old favorite and should do fine with your make betta. A big school (at least 6) is the only way to go. Harlequin rasboras would also be awesome. Again, 6+ for the best activity. Finally, rummy nose tetras should be fine (someone correct me if I am wrong) and are about the most beautiful small schooler I know of.

I would go with a some south american puffers, as long as you have access to some crunchier foods

I'm not dead set on keeping the betta, so any and all suggestions are great!

My boyfriend said that he would prefer a lot of small fish to only a few larger ones.

I housed 4 of them with a male betta successfully for a couple of years... the puffers were better with the better than guppies as long as the puffers were fed

If he'd like many small fish instead of few larger fish, maybe some guppies or endlers, a schooling fish like rasboras or tetras, maybe some hatchet fish for the top level, and some Cory cats for the bottom.

If he'd like many small fish instead of few larger fish, maybe some guppies or endlers, a schooling fish like rasboras or tetras, maybe some hatchet fish for the top level, and some Cory cats for the bottom.

After looking more into it he really REALLY likes the Endlers. How many would you recommend for this size tank? He also might want some bottom feeders, like cory cats or some sort of loach.

If you only got endlers and corys you could probably do 6 corys and 10 or 12 endlers. Maybe more, they're pretty small. Check with aquadvisor to see what it says, although it's pretty conservative.
The only type if loaches I would recommend would be the smaller types such as kuhli loaches (hide a lot but are lots of fun and very cute when they do come out), dwarf chain loaches (are fairly expensive at about $10 each and need to be in groups of 6+), and Burmese rosy loaches which are a nano fish that are also a bit pricey and need to be in groups.

Okay. The filter is an Aquaclear 50 and I don't mind doing frequent water changes. My LFS gives store credit to those who bring in some older fry for them to sell, which is a good thing!

Back
Top Bottom