265 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's odd, I've never heard a complaint about an Fx5. I have two I planned on running for my 135, now 210. But probably going with a sump

When that close to the water line the pump runs hot as it's not getting the full fill it needs to keep it cool

It may work for a few months but you will get problems down the line

It seams you guys in the us love the fx5 because it's cheap none of you have anything to compare it with as you won't spend the $$$ on eheim

In Europe we can pick and choose as eheim is not much more than a fx5

The fx5 has it's down sides big nasty flex pipe which make it a pain if you want to run a uv which I wouldn't run a tank without

The lack of bio media the fx5 contains is also a issue

This is an exciting build. Would love to have a tank this size.

Do you mind telling how much this thing cost to get??

Thanks! Ya I'm very excited about it. Regarding cost I got one heck of a deal on the tank! I had to do a bit of work to it to get it up to my safety standards but I bought off a local classifieds website for $200!!

Oh I was referring to the proper way to set it up I can see why that would be an issue. When I first started 6 years ago with my turtle I was given an older model fluval so I stuck with fluval. I then branched out to Rena because I found an Xp4 for cheap and now I love Rena as well. Have yet to test an eheim but my uncle swears by it. Eheims aren't as widely available here in the stores. The problem is no filter matches it in capacity and GPH that's why it is so popular. I've seen the eheim your referring to and I know it does a bang up job as well

When that close to the water line the pump runs hot as it's not getting the full fill it needs to keep it cool It may work for a few months but you will get problems down the line It seams you guys in the us love the fx5 because it's cheap none of you have anything to compare it with as you won't spend the $$$ on eheim In Europe we can pick and choose as eheim is not much more than a fx5 The fx5 has it's down sides big nasty flex pipe which make it a pain if you want to run a uv which I wouldn't run a tank without The lack of bio media the fx5 contains is also a issue
Have you owned a fx5? I have an fx6 and love it. The corrugated tubing is easily replaced with 1" vinyl tubes and the media can be replaced with anything you want, pounds of it. I have an eheim classic and hate it compared to any of my fluval canisters. With canisters its really more of a matter of opinion and what you prefer, that all work just a well as the next, at least with any of the name brands.

Have you owned a fx5? I have an fx6 and love it. The corrugated tubing is easily replaced with 1" vinyl tubes and the media can be replaced with anything you want, pounds of it. I have an eheim classic and hate it compared to any of my fluval canisters. With canisters its really more of a matter of opinion and what you prefer, that all work just a well as the next, at least with any of the name brands.
Yes I have had 2 fx5 As stated in another thread I have no legs and the amount of maintenance the fx5 need compared to the eheims is a joke Yes the fx5 has good flow but hardly any bio media which is the main problem it pumps that water throw a bunch of sponges which clog up fast A filter isn't all about flow rate it's how it deals with that flow that counts Yes you can take some of the sponges out and replace with more bio media but that's not how the fx5 was designed and you get bits of media stuck in the impeller Fluval must spend lots of money trying to get a filter right before putting it on the market but they got it wrong with the fx5 and tried to sort it out with the fx6 but I can't see many changes Like I said most people with fx5 buy it because of price I hardly know ANYONE in the us with a big eheim 2080 or 2262 so how can you say the fx5 is better Read this was done when they both came out http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7080

Sorry for going off topic

I think the tank will look great as a bar make sure you put some bumpers around the bottom you don't want someone hitting it with a bar stool

Yea most canisters only work below the tank how are you doing this? And a couple Fx5's would work great

So why is this the case? I don't understand why this makes a difference? I have 3 canisters behind it at the moment. 1 of which is acting up in guessing because it's behind and not below... I know I need to upgrade but I wasn't planning on it so soon.... I had NO idea this was going to be a problem... Is it something to do with gravity? Or?

Yes I have had 2 fx5 As stated in another thread I have no legs and the amount of maintenance the fx5 need compared to the eheims is a joke Yes the fx5 has good flow but hardly any bio media which is the main problem it pumps that water throw a bunch of sponges which clog up fast A filter isn't all about flow rate it's how it deals with that flow that counts Yes you can take some of the sponges out and replace with more bio media but that's not how the fx5 was designed and you get bits of media stuck in the impeller Fluval must spend lots of money trying to get a filter right before putting it on the market but they got it wrong with the fx5 and tried to sort it out with the fx6 but I can't see many changes Like I said most people with fx5 buy it because of price I hardly know ANYONE in the us with a big eheim 2080 or 2262 so how can you say the fx5 is better Read this was done when they both came out http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7080

Sorry for going off topic

I think the tank will look great as a bar make sure you put some bumpers around the bottom you don't want someone hitting it with a bar stool

Haha thanks. Now I just need to figure out this filtration issue.... ASAP I suppose..

So why is this the case? I don't understand why this makes a difference? I have 3 canisters behind it at the moment. 1 of which is acting up in guessing because it's behind and not below... I know I need to upgrade but I wasn't planning on it so soon.... I had NO idea this was going to be a problem... Is it something to do with gravity? Or?

Yes, by keeping it at the same level as the tank your putting tremendous strain on the filter. When you think of a pump I see why you would be confused. But think about a simple pump, it's job is to primarily pump the water and it's not storing any extra, just trough and through. A canister however holds a couple gallons, this means the pump needs to work a little harder. Once the water reaches the filter it slows down a little going through all the filter baskets. The pump is pulling the water through to get it back into the tank. By allowing gravity to create a pump induced syphon, half the work is already done. The pump now only has to exert most of its energy to the output rather than ensuring good flow from the input. Make sense? The pump is still responsible for the suction from the intake but gravity also plays a major role.

I just wanted to address the main point which is pressure, canisters operate based on gravitational pressure. The pump merely just encourages the circulation but doesn't actually PUMP the water by itself into the tank.

Ok. Thanks for the info. Been reading up on exactly that. Apparently it's called head pressure? Think I'm going with a sump system sooner than later...

The tank basically backs onto my basement wall (live in a 4 lvl backsplit) making it fairly easy to run a sump from my basement. I'm going to talk to a local custom reef aquarium guy today. Hope he can help me out.

Sheesh!! Where we're you guys a few days ago! Lol.

This is an interesting thread and makes a lot of sense.

This is something that is really good to know for future projects. Thanks for all the info everyone.

This is a bit of a pickle for the OP. How are you going to solve this problem?

Are there other filter options for this size of tank?

What you could use is 2 x eheim 2252 internals they are the best internal ever made in my eyes

They come with 2 modules out of the box but as your tank is deep you could run 4 modules on each

They have a good turn over of 1200 litres each and you can also add defuses

If you can't find them I can give you the part numbers to make your own

Everyone I know in Europe runs them along side canister filters to polish the water they do a great job and with smaller tank mates the tank will be spotless as everyone I know who runs them has them with big rays and tiger fish

What you could use is 2 x eheim 2252 internals they are the best internal ever made in my eyes

They come with 2 modules out of the box but as your tank is deep you could run 4 modules on each

They have a good turn over of 1200 litres each and you can also add defuses

If you can't find them I can give you the part numbers to make your own

Everyone I know in Europe runs them along side canister filters to polish the water they do a great job and with smaller tank mates the tank will be spotless as everyone I know who runs them has them with big rays and tiger fish

Hmm.. Will look into those! Thanks for ur help!!

This is an interesting thread and makes a lot of sense.

This is something that is really good to know for future projects. Thanks for all the info everyone.

This is a bit of a pickle for the OP. How are you going to solve this problem?

Are there other filter options for this size of tank?

I ended up meeting up with a friend of mine who's in the custom aquarium business and he's going to help me out with a sump system. When need be.

After speaking with him I came home and filled my tank to the top and now my filters are working better. For now atleast.! Because my tank is so tall I'm thinking that adding the rest of the water really helped with the "head pressure"

What an experience this has all been! Haha! Just want to thank everyone for ALL of there help and opinions!

Cheers!!

I hit a couple of roads blocks along te way but here it is.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393973794.205955.jpg

The whole project still is far from finish but I think it's coming along now.

Back
Top Bottom