26G odd balls

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

raccioppi83

Aquarium Advice Freak
So here is the situation. My friend wants to start a tank so I told him I will give him some media to help cycle it and he can have my neon and rummy nose tetras. (He really likes them) just to give his tank some life. This will only leave me with a GBR and 3 yoyo loaches.

My tank is a 26G (I think) bow front tank.

It has been running for over a year now and I want to explore with some oddball fish. Does anyone have any suggestions?

The problem with oddballs are that not many can be kept in a community tank. If you have a fine sand substrate, you could get a couple hogchokers.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do have that substrate. It doesn't necessarily have to be an "oddball" just not the normal fish you'd find at a local petco or petsmart

That is an idea as well.. I'm just brain storming right now. I kinda wanna get an angel fish. I haven't had one in years

I don't know anything about them.. I will look them up now! Could you tell me more?

Edit: They're aggressive preds. I don't want to put my GBR in danger

How about hatchetfish or panda garra? Not super uncommon but most people don't keep them.

How about hatchetfish or panda garra? Not super uncommon but most people don't keep them.

Panda garras need fast flowing water, which I do not intend to replicate. I am also looking for more mid to upper level swimming fish. Not so much a loach, because I already have my 3 yoyo loaches

Sent from my VS986 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

A 26 gallon is way small for yoyo loaches and they need groups of 5. I have some oddball ideas for a 26 gallon (my first tank was a 26 gallon and I have it to this day) but your tank is overstocked with the loaches.

My yoyos aren't big yet and groups of 3 work fine.

Groups of 3 are too small, and they may be small now but they will get much larger. Adult yoyos can on rare occassions get up to 10 inches, and you should expect them to get at least 6.

Sorry if there was confusion.. I don't plan on keeping them in this tank, I have a larger tank to move them into.

Sorry if there was confusion.. I don't plan on keeping them in this tank, I have a larger tank to move them into.

Ah ok. Yeah that's fine as a growout! Although 5 really is the minimum. Trust me, I have and have had a LOT of loaches, in groups (or not groups) of all sizes. It really does make a difference.

In any case, the GBR makes it difficult because they like much warmer water than just about any oddball for that tank size.

If I see behavior changes I'll look into adding more.. How are GBR with angelfish? Any experience with them

Should be fine. Angelfish are upper water and rams are lower. And 26 gallons are super high. I would only do one angelfish though.

Yeah I would only want one.. Maybe recloate everyone else and get a harem of GBR could look nice

A harem in a 26 might be a bad idea, it's basically a 20 high and in a 20 high I had a pair of GBR form and kill off the rest.

Hmm well then. Maybe just a pair. I'll post a picture of what the tank looks like

This is it

Attachments

• 1451512663449.jpg
    1451512663449.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 46
Back
Top Bottom