29 and 36

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishkeeper88

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have two beautiful planted aquariums I would like to restock. The 29 gallon currently has 2 Otos and 1 Cory cat. I plan on keeping them as they care for the maintenance of the system. I want centerpiece fish to add to this aquarium.

The 36 gallon currently has 3 Cory cats, 3 otos I want to keep them also. This tank also holds 2 turquoise rainbows, 3 boesemani rainbows, one golden kille fish and one golden goraumi. I want to get rid of all the fish except corys and otos.

Any stocking ideas?

Fishkeeper88 said:
I have two beautiful planted aquariums I would like to restock. The 29 gallon currently has 2 Otos and 1 Cory cat. I plan on keeping them as they care for the maintenance of the system. I want centerpiece fish to add to this aquarium.

The 36 gallon currently has 3 Cory cats, 3 otos I want to keep them also. This tank also holds 2 turquoise rainbows, 3 boesemani rainbows, one golden kille fish and one golden goraumi. I want to get rid of all the fish except corys and otos.

Any stocking ideas?

Beautiful tanks!
Can I suggest upping your schools of cories and ottos to 4 or 6. They will be a lot happier and energetic. :)
IMO a large school of a small schooling fish (cardinals, embers, rummy nose) would look stunning in either of those tanks.

Fishkeeper88 said:
I'm thinking rummy nose in the 36 gallon and German blue rams in the 29 gallon. So now the question is how many should I get?

IMO 10-14 rummy nose, a second small (6-8 ) school of something and a centre piece fish.
Maybe a pair of rams and something for the upper section of the tank.

Yes, IMO 29g is quite suitable for 1-2 Gbr. Honestly, I would suggest you either re-home the single cory in the 29, or else try your luck with a few more friends for him. Gbr pairs will often chase corys out of their territory, and there isn't much space in a 29g for the corys to swim away. So, the success of the mix is left up to the individual personalities of the rams. But, you can always try it and just move the cories into the bigger tank if it doesn't work.
As for the 36g, I think you would be fine with 6-12 rummies, and perhaps even a few more depending on what else you want in there. Honestly, I wouldn't recommend a golden wonder with the rummies because I have heard lots of stories in those particular killies nipping off the tails of smaller, not as quick tetras. But, I have not kept gw before, I am just passing along info I was given. ;)

Thanks I think I will put the Cory in the 36 so he can be friends with the other corys. They school around together it is pretty fun to watch them.

I really have a soft spot for this golden wonder that I have. His mate got startled by the gold goraumi and jumped out of the tank while I was away.

So the question is can he go in the 29 gallon with the gbrs when I get them?

And can I get another golden wonder to keep him company?

I a, not sure if that is enough space or not honestly. I have not owned gw before, so I don't want to give you wrong info. But, this forum is really full, so I am sure other people will come along who have owned them. :)

No idea but the fish your thinking about are beautiful ! I had to start thinking how I'm going to stock my 29 gallon after it finishes cycling !

So I have been doing research and like 5 lfs in st. Louis have closed in the past two years. I have also discovered that those still operating are razing prices double. So I have to pay crazy amounts to buy specialty fish.

None of the stores carry rummy nose as of now. I need more ideas please.

Back
Top Bottom