29 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nook

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I know cha'll are probably getting tired of answering stocking threads.... but I was wondering if anyone could give me stocking advice for my tank, its cycled and currently I have a smaller angel (that has doubled in size almost from when I bought him a week ago, he's now about the size of a toonie) and a bala shark whose also grown a fair bit, neither are huge and the tank looks pretty empty with just them and my two snails. I was wondering what would make good choice to put in with them? I want something colourful and active that my angel wont eat when its bigger, also my angels a little agressive but its more because its curious then anything else, he tries to nip my snails but leaves my shark alone (prolly cause its bigger)

Well, the bala will get too big for that tank.
You could get a school of rasboras, tetras (not neons) or some other small schooling fish and some cories.
Or maybe some livebearers (just watch out they can breed like rabbits), cories, and/or a small pleco.

cool deal, yeah I don't know what I'll do when the shark gets too big, spose I'll get a bigger tank should be ready for a new one by then

Maybe I could get a couple dwarf gourami's and some smaller fish like Guppies or something, Maybe some larger tetra's. What do you guys think? How big do the non dwarf gourami's get? my boyfriend likes the bigger fish lol, hence why he got me the angel and shark.

Blue, gold, opaline, giant (banded), and pearl gouramis get to about 4-6". Males tend to get longer than females IME. Males are also much more terretorial, if you want to get more than one just make sure you only get one or zero males. Snakeskin gouramis, if you can find them, get up to about 8" which IMO a 29 gal is too small for them.
You could probably have a few dwarf gouramis and guppies together. Some dwarf gouramis can be quite mean though, mine is.
If you get tetras, I wouldn't get serpaes because they are quite nippy, at least in small groups IME.

thank you! me and my guy went and picked up 6 guppies, 4 f ans 2 m I might get a couple more smaller fish this weekend

Still looking for advice! It appears that the petstore I bought my guppies from had all their um males and females mixed *mutters under breath* so I think I got 5 males and 1 female *gulp* I'm gonna put my female (or I think its a female) in a tank by her lonesom, or maybe in with my goldfish, I'm not sure. I have a 2.5 gal lying around, would that work or?

Well I think that the angelfish will like to eat the adult guppies when it is bigger, so don't get any smaller fish. However as you have a FEMALE guppy, you could leave it in and you will have lots of little fry. The angelfish will eat the fry and if there is always enough guppy fry, the angelfish may leave your adult guppies alone.

ok, was more worried that the males would hassel the female to death... heard of it happening somewhere... she seems fine though *shrugs*

does my tank sound overstocked to you?
1 angel
1 bala shark (will be moving when gets too big)
6 guppies
6 zebra danio's
4 mickey mouse platy's
2 apple snials

A little, even without the bala. :? You can still manage it even when they're older (without the bala) if you keep up with PWCs.

cool deal, cause I really do like all the fish that are in there :wink: I don't mind doing a little more work to make sure their tanks always clean

Back
Top Bottom