Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-27-2011, 08:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

29 gal set up for gold fish

I would like to see if anyone can tell me if I am okay using beach sand well rinsed for a gold fish tank. I am donating my eclipse 29 to my brother in law since the tank he has 5-6 med to lg gold fish in is only 10 gallons.
I would like to use some of my beach sand since it's easier to vacuum and certain family members don't know when enough is regarding feeding. I try and tell them that one person in the family should be resp for feeding, but it is what it is.
So sand as substrate for the gold fish or nothing or what do you suggest?
Aoha,
Scott

Old 03-27-2011, 10:11 PM   #2

Sand is the best substrate for goldfish. IME though many sands are not good options. Not all sands are equal. I only use and recommend Estes' Ultra Reef. It is NOT a true calcium based marine sand. But it comes in multiple colors, is extremely uniform in size (the perfect size of sand IMO), and super easy to keep clean.

I assume you have tried to express the issue of more than two or three fancy goldfish in a 29, not to mention 6 med/lg goldfish that may be pond types.

Tags
gold, gold fish, set up

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com