29 gallon.. am I overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yankeeslover

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 29 gallon tank..currently have 10 zebra danios, 2 blue rams, 6 peppered cory cats, 1 dwarf quomi, 1 golden killiefish and a bristlenose pleco... I really want to get another small dwarf cichlids for this tank.... I do 25-40% water changes weekly...does this already look overstocked? I have been thinking of rehoming all my danios to my brothers big tank, but have not made the move yet. would this be neccassary to do to add another dwarf S.A cichlid to the tank? im not sure which one I want, but will research first to make sure they get along with my rams... but do you think its a must to get rid of the danios first? these fish are crazy, LOL... drive me nuts with all the fin nipping they do to each other...but im afraid if I rehome the danios then I have nothing for the middle/top of tank..I am very ontop of my waterchanges and cleanings..i use a aquaclear 70 filter... thank you

yankeeslover said:
I have a 29 gallon tank..currently have 10 zebra danios, 2 blue rams, 6 peppered cory cats, 1 dwarf quomi, 1 golden killiefish and a bristlenose pleco... I really want to get another small dwarf cichlids for this tank.... I do 25-40% water changes weekly...does this already look overstocked? I have been thinking of rehoming all my danios to my brothers big tank, but have not made the move yet. would this be neccassary to do to add another dwarf S.A cichlid to the tank? im not sure which one I want, but will research first to make sure they get along with my rams... but do you think its a must to get rid of the danios first? these fish are crazy, LOL... drive me nuts with all the fin nipping they do to each other...but im afraid if I rehome the danios then I have nothing for the middle/top of tank..I am very ontop of my waterchanges and cleanings..i use a aquaclear 70 filter... thank you

Are your blue rams a mated pair? If they are, IMO, I would not risk adding another dwarf cichlid of any kind.

Alot does depend on if you have a pair of Rams and how heavily planted with DW and hidey holes you have. Apistogramma's can work with rams if there is enough room and the tank is scaped properly but you already have the rams plus the cory cats so depending on the type of Apisto it may or may not work. I've kept tiny Apistogramma agassizii Double red male who lost his mate in a 220g with 3 pairs of Rams and that little guy ruled the roost, including the 12 adult angels. IMO you would be wise not to get another dwarf cichlid. I would however get rid of the danios and get a nice school of cardinal or rummynose tetras. Also I don't know how large your golden wonder killi is but they can get good sized and some quite aggressive so you need to keep an eye on it as it grows.

not sure how to tell if rams are male or female

I have had two weeks now. Not sure how to sex them. No idea what sex they are. I have decided though to keep it as i have it including the danios. All the different species leave the others alone and i should keep it that way. Maybe if i upgrade to bigger tank in future i will get more cicichlids... i would love to sex my two rams though.. any advice????

You can post pic's as sometimes someone can tell if they are old enough. Females get pink bellies when they are old enough and ready to spawn. But when young it's mostly just educated guesses.

If you regimes your danios it would open up your stocking. How are the rams and dwarf gourami( you ment that, not quomi, correct?) doing. Are there any aggression or fin nipping going on? But anyways, you could possibly add a apistogramma or a keyhole cichlid. So then you would still have room for a school of 6 tetras or barbs.

Back
Top Bottom