Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

29 gallon ammonia levels

Hi guys another question about my freshwater 29 gallon. I have had a rubbernose pleco in there for about 2 and a half months and today I got a spotted leafish and a feathertail catfish. But ever since it cycled I would change the water and the ammonia would be 0, but then in like 2 days of maybe even not feeding, the ammonia would rise to 0.25 and possibly 0.50. Why does the ammonia rise so fast, and is their something I can do about it?

Old 01-06-2011, 04:40 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

This is ammonia rising *before* you put the new fish in? Lets try to seperate the issues out here so we aren't confused.

So you cycled the tank (with fish?) and then your ammonia is zero, but then ever since the ammonia has been going up after water changes? However if the ammonia is 0.5 before a 50% water change it could only be 0.25 at best after, so how much of the water are you changing?

Could you go through it all in excruciating detail for us please? Don't leave anything out.

My first thought is that there is either a problem with your filter or your filter is insufficiently powerful, however we need to have more information.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:33 AM   #3

+1

I would recommend to do 25-50% water changes with additional prime (Detoxifies ammonia and nitrites for 24 hours) everyday until you get no trace of of ammonia.

Tyler
Old 01-06-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Are you using a dechlorinator when you do a PWC? Dumping chlorinated water into the tank will cause cycles like you're experiencing.
Old 01-06-2011, 06:49 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I cycled the tank with a filter cartridge and gravel from an existing tank. I change about 60-75% percent and I do at least twice per week. And just 3 days ago I kept filling it up then taking it out and finally I got it to 0.0 but then 2 days later it became 0.25 after not feeding it.
Old 01-16-2011, 11:58 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

Bump
Old 01-17-2011, 12:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marchmaxima
Hi Lcars - Sorry mate I haven't seen any other posts you've created so I don't know the details of your tank. can you help us out with some further information?

Tank size: (29g, got that)
Stock list: List of fish

How long has this tank been set up? how new?

One think you can do is try testing your tap water:

- straight out of the tap
- after sitting idle for 24 hours

You might very well have a little ammonia in your tap water. It's not supposed to be that way, but it's been known to happen.

But if you have 0.5ppm and then do a change of 75% then all else being equal, you should get a reading of 0ppm. What about Nitrites and Nitrates? Have you tested those recently? Can you post the latest set of results?

Are you using test strips or a liquid test kit?
marchmaxima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 02:32 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Rubbernose Pleco
Leopard Leaf fish
Featherfin Catfish

I have had the tank set up for about 6 months. I have o nitrites and nitrates and I am using a API freshwater master test kit. And to add today the reading says the ammonia is at 4.0 but the fish look fine! If it helps tomorrow I am getting a penguin biowheel filter.

Tags
29 gallon, ammonia, level

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com