29 gallon journey/journal/build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Update time! Ok. Next week getting three more black skirt tetras. No tank yet, so they'll be in a ten gallon with the other 3 until it's set up. But I have a question:

Would 3 black skirt tetras be able to sustain a bacteria colony that rids a tank of 4 ppm ammonia in 24 hours for a month? or should I add more?

But wouldn't that mean I'd have able to add less fish at a time after that to keep from mini cycling, because I'd have a smaller colony? Wouldn't it be easier just to add more fish at one time?

Homedog98 said:
But wouldn't that mean I'd have able to add less fish at a time after that to keep from mini cycling, because I'd have a smaller colony? Wouldn't it be easier just to add more fish at one time?

You could add a full shoal of tetras at once, their bio-load is small compaired to some fish (like my 3 goldies lol).

Coolio. Ok. Fishies just got moved into grandmas house. Thought I lost a tetra for a sec. He's fine now, but I'll have to see how he is tomorrow. Definitely trying moving plan B in three weeks lol. Still saving... Made 15 bucks today, and I have been promised 20 more if I learn how to play the bugle... Ligit... My dads serious there.

New question. Do plants like anarchis, amazon sword, and java fern need root tabs? If so, how do the root tabs work?

New question. Do plants like anarchis, amazon sword, and java fern need root tabs? If so, how do the root tabs work?

I used root tabs on my in the past (amazon sword) they seemed to work, although when I did my weekly cleaning and moved the substrate around it made a huge mess. all you have to do is put the tab in the substrate within 6 inches of the plant. I think I used 6 at one time. I have since moved on from the tabs and just use the Flourish liquid fert. Although I may use both to get my plants going. Even thinking about trying CO2 when I get more plants.

Ok, so also, what kind of lighting does the sword need? I'm looking at a 90 watt light thingy (still a newb at this lol.) is that too much without going to co2? I don't have the $ to do ferts or co2 yet, so I'll just have to stick with the root tabs,

Lighting is still beyond me, I'm still trying to decide on lighting for my tank. All I know is that everyone here will recommend the T5HO lighting (even though it's beyond most of our budgets).

Homedog98 said:
Ok, so also, what kind of lighting does the sword need? I'm looking at a 90 watt light thingy (still a newb at this lol.) is that too much without going to co2? I don't have the $ to do ferts or co2 yet, so I'll just have to stick with the root tabs,

90w on what size tank and what's the K factor?

Getting your lighting too high or going for plants needing high lights, then you're looking at all kinds of ferts, co2, and whatever else cost $$!

Check out plantgeek.net.

The tank is 29 gallons... And I dunno what the second thing means. :p I'm such a plant noob! I've checked out plant geek, but I need to check it out some more apparently.

Homedog98 said:
The tank is 29 gallons... And I dunno what the second thing means. :p I'm such a plant noob! I've checked out plant geek, but I need to check it out some more apparently.

90w on a 29g? Yikes, better talk to fort and rookie about some serious co2 and ferts galore lol.

Edit: K=kelvins which is the spectrum the light is (ie 6500K to 10000K is a good range).

Cool! I'll definitely give those a go gonefishing, But I'm starting with fake plants first at that price lol.

Back
Top Bottom