29 Gallon Stocking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheGar55

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So I am setting up a 29 Gallon aquarium with black sand. I am planning a school of about 10-12 black neon tetras, another school of about 6 albino Cory catfish. I am curious what a good main fish would be. Maybe a really colorful betta or a dwarf gourami? I am looking for something would won’t abuse the other fish in the tank. Thanks man for your ideas!:)

I'm not really a fan of a main or "centerpiece" fish. Most fish are happier in schools or groups of their own. A male betta is an exception and might be a good choice.

Betta or opal gourami.

I'd be more inclined to go with the betta for a 29; opalines get to about 5", for my tastes a little big for this size tank.

In either case, the OP will have to keep an eye out for aggression. Bettas can be easygoing tankmates, but they can also turn out to be little serial killers. And gouramis of that species can be aggressive, too: I had a gold gourami once that was a genuine butthead.

Honey Dwarf gouramis are smaller, but they have some lovely color variants now, and they're quite peaceful.

Back
Top Bottom