29 Gallon Stocking recs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psylk87

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have an empty 29 gallon tank. I was thinking of putting Rams in it. Do you guys have any recs on how many pairs of rams could go in a 29 gallon and what else I could put in with them?

So two pairs? (4 al together?) What else would be okay with them in the 29 or would that be about the limit I could go with them? Could I add a bristlenose pleco?

If it was heavily planted, with driftwood and they broke the lines of sight then 2 pairs could possibly work. A nice big school of tetras would do well

Are Rams fond of those cichlid rocks? I could put those in for hiding too. Do you recommend a specific type of tetra to go with the 4 Rams? What size school? Also could I get by with a bristlenose plec in there too?

Are Rams fond of those cichlid rocks? I could put those in for hiding too. Do you recommend a specific type of tetra to go with the 4 Rams? What size school? Also could I get by with a bristlenose plec in there too?

I've never used the cichlid rocks but I guess they'd work too. As for tetras I'd do 15? Or maybe a small pencil fish. Just remember rams are very delicate. Id add them after 4 months of having a established tank. You could have a BNP but he will eat the eggs while the rams sleep if they spawn

Many people will say you can do two pairs of rams in that size tank but I've kept them for many years and can tell you rams, especially German Blue Rams, get more aggressive with age. They also shouldn't be added until a tank is 4-6 months old. They are very sensitive to nitrates too.

You could do a couple schools of small peaceful fish such as Rummynose or Cardinal tetras, Purple or Regular Harlequin Rasboras, Threadfin Rainbowfish, Hatchfish, or any other small peaceful species. If you kept one pair of rams you could add 5-6 Cory Cats or 4 Dwarf Chain Loaches. Then a Dwarf or Honey Gourami for more color.

The tank I will be using is one that's been set up before and I will be stocking it with stuff from currently established tanks. Also pulling a filter form a currently established tank.

But you recommend setting it up with the tetras and Bristnose (if I get one) first and then running it like that for 4-5 months before adding the pairs of Rams?

Do you have a specific tetra in mind that may fair better than others? Also are Rams picky about types of plants or will a little of everything work for them?

These will be my first rams but I have had other cichlids in the past. Any extra tips would be great.

Many people will say you can do two pairs of rams in that size tank but I've kept them for many years and can tell you rams, especially German Blue Rams, get more aggressive with age. They also shouldn't be added until a tank is 4-6 months old. They are very sensitive to nitrates too.

You could do a couple schools of small peaceful fish such as Rummynose or Cardinal tetras, Purple or Regular Harlequin Rasboras, Threadfin Rainbowfish, Hatchfish, or any other small peaceful species. If you kept one pair of rams you could add 5-6 Cory Cats or 4 Dwarf Chain Loaches. Then a Dwarf or Honey Gourami for more color.

So you recommend only doing one pair of Rams and then cories and Threadfin Rainbows? Would blue eyed rainbows be okay too are too small? What are you think on stocking count with the different varieties? Numbers are always the thing I have the biggest issue with lol.

Tank will be live planted can go as dense as I need, HOB filter, Driftwood and maybe some rock for hardscape.

Personally I'd only do one pair of German Blue Rams (I only keep 2 pairs in my 220g 100% planted tank) and yes they need to be put in a mature tank. New tanks don't have stable water parameters which GBR's need. So that is why I suggest adding them a few months after the tank has been set up. You could add Bolivian Rams sooner but they aren't nearly as colorful.

As long as your not adding any bigger fish like gourami's or angelfish and no nippy tetras then you could do Spotted Blue eyes. Remember they really are quite small and can easily be out competed for food and if they don't feel secure with the other fish they could be quite shy. That is why I suggest Threadfin Rainbows as they are still smaller fish but not nearly as small as SBE's are. You could do a school of 6 Threadfins but be sure you have at least as many females as males. I keep 12, 6m and 6f in the 220g.

As for small schooling fish neon, cardinal, and rummynose tetra's are all equally peaceful fish that would work well in the tank and with the Threadfins. Threadfins will tend to stay higher and the tetras more middle but will move about the tank. You could do 8 of these. Then maybe 6 cory cats for bottom movement and clean up. Personally I'd nix the bristenose since it's got a higher bioload and really won't do much. But that is up to you. You could have a nice active tank with this stocking.

Back
Top Bottom